• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Spartan Warrior

jknaus

Administrator
Okay I have basically just started this. It was going to be my Acrylic experiment, but oils seem to seeping into the process again.
First try at Bronze and dark leather. Looks better in real life than pic
DSC01365.jpg

The shield and cloak so far. Will do some highlites and shadowing today
DSC01368.jpg

Took someones advice from a figure forum and bought a cheap crock pot as my dry box. Works very well and instead of weeks drying is in hours. I think he's looking okay. Unfortunately the camera shows all flaws.
James

Did some more painting. I wish I could do this better but I'm having fun and thats all that matters, I think.
Picture doesnt show it but wife and kids thinnk the shadows and highlites are good. I'm still undecided.
DSC01370.jpg

Still like the armour
DSC01371.jpg

Test fitting stuff.
DSC01374.jpg

Hope you like and any comments welcome.
James

Hey James
That looks wonderful my friend
The bronze armour really looks the part and the red on the cloak is quite vibrant; you can notice the subtle weathering on it. Good stuff! Some incredible detail in that cloak too...
Brad

Hi James:

Your Spartan is looking really great. You have done a great job on the robe. It is so very hard to do anything red without having it come out looking pink, but yours is perfect (y) . But are those Nike tennis shoes I see on his feet :lol: ? Maybe they could use this guy in their commercials after they dump Tiger :p

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
Hi James:

Your Spartan is looking really great. You have done a great job on the robe. It is so very hard to do anything red without having it come out looking pink, but yours is perfect (y) . But are those Nike tennis shoes I see on his feet :lol: ? Maybe they could use this guy in their commercials after they dump Tiger :p

Gary B)

Well Nike is an ancient Greek company founded after the first Marathon. :silly:

No I am going to experiment. I need to paint a light leather so thought I'd try a lite acrylic base and then go over with burnt sienna oil paint and see what it looks like.
James

I think those shoes are more Reebokos lol

The figure is coming along really well, JK

me likings a lottings

A

I have a little touching up here and there. I'm not thrilled with the skin tones but for my second figure done in oils I dont think it is too bad. Enjoy, I know I did.
DSC01384.jpg

DSC01388.jpg

DSC01387.jpg

DSC01386.jpg

I'm not sure if the ground work is okay. I decided to mount the figure right to the base so there isnt much relief. My wife and son think it is fine, but they could just be placating the old guy so he wont pester them.

Comments welcome.
James

Hi James.

The Aristocrat looks real nice (y) . He seems ready to go bust some Autocrat back side to me :p . And he looks so much better without the tennis shoes ;) . With practice and experience, you are going to be a true master of figure painting if this is what you can do on only your second attempt.

Gary

James,

1st , 2 nd or 10th, this is a really nice looking figure. I have to tell you that is some of the best armor/bronze I have seen. I think you are well on the right track! The way I have always judged a figure is would I like it in my curio?.......YES!!

Now, here are just a few things that I think will help make the next ones a little better. I would add a litte dust to the bottom of the cloak and shoes for starters then I would just increase your highlights and shadows.

I really look forward to seeing your next figure and if I can ever be of any help please feel free to look me up. I do not know a lot but will be glad to share what I do know.

God Bless and have a Great New Year!!

Joe

Being humble has always been something that I admire.

But if Joe Hudson does not "know a lot" about anything related to figures, then I gotta say that I don't know that much about drinking beer, and eating barbeque :lol:

Gary B)

Joe Hudson wrote:
James,

1st , 2 nd or 10th, this is a really nice looking figure. I have to tell you that is some of the best armor/bronze I have seen. I think you are well on the right track! The way I have always judged a figure is would I like it in my curio?.......YES!!

Now, here are just a few things that I think will help make the next ones a little better. I would add a litte dust to the bottom of the cloak and shoes for starters then I would just increase your highlights and shadows.

I really look forward to seeing your next figure and if I can ever be of any help please feel free to look me up. I do not know a lot but will be glad to share what I do know.

God Bless and have a Great New Year!!

Joe

I'll take this as very high praise, thank you. I want to dust up the cape but I am not confident in my usage of MIG pigments and dont want to screw this up. I just ordered an advanced figure painting book from Periscopio and hope that will help me out with the hilights and shadowing. Thank you very much for your kind offer.
Have a happy and prosperous New Year.
James

Back