• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Smart phone app for viewing MA?

Hi all,

Well I guess this question is really directed to Meesta M.Puppy :mpup

Do you know of any smart phone apps which might be suitable for browsing/participating in MA? I know Gordy enabled pF (and I guess pA) to handle Tapatalk ...

Rudi :)

Rudi, I took at quick looksee and did not see our forum software listed as being supported. Strike one. I don't have a smartphone and I'm not setup to install a emulator right now. Strike two.

Word on the street is I'm switching cell phone services this month and may pick up a smartphone. Course that will give me a lot more incentive to look closer into this.

Hang tight, we'll see what happens.

Well, doesn't sound like that phone is all that smart after all...

lol j/k,

I occasionally view this site and a few others on my Andriod. looking isn't too bad, posting is another story though.

Kenny, Did you post?

Ken, what issue do you run into when trying to post?

I'm shopping now and looking at this Droid Incredible with Verizonwireless (don't hate on Verizon, I'm coming off AT&Twireless and they suck hard)

I highly recommend the Samsung Galaxy and T-Mobile. Great service and coverage, and the phone is simply amazing.

I actually primarily surf here with my iTouch which is basically an iPhone (without the 4G) and have no troubles...only with threads with loads of pics do I have issues...so I use the desktop then...

I had the chance to view the site on a Droid today. I really didn't see any problems, didn't try to log on, wasn't my phone but the site actually looked better on the Droid than it does in Internet Explorer.

OK Rudi, you got me back in the smart phone world. I got a Droid and was able to post to the forum. What's your problem bub, got one of those Ithings?

:evil:

:D :D :D

My wife has a HTC Desire, running Android. Note I never said I can't access the MA site ;) I'm merely looking for an easier way to access it via her phone when she's hitting the 2nd or 3rd consecutive hour skyping her (s)mother :)

I do see what you are talking about. it is a little hard moving about on the site in full screen. I suppose the other apps reformat the forum to make it easier to read, post. But the voice recognition thing is amazing, they really have come a long way from the day's of the old Sound Blaster Pro sound card and that clunky software that tried to read your voice.

I just can't find a straight answer to whether gmail is actually required for the phone to work.

Re. the readability: Pretty much yeah. From what I've seen it strips out the ads, page templates, and gumpf (technical term :D ), displays the image as a clickable item for optional download. Pretty much like the social networking stream app they have for FB.

I haven't enabled the VR for the missus - that would be beyond her. I don't think GMail is required; I'm pretty sure you could add a POP3 mail server as an alternative. GMail (and FB) seems integrate with the contacts and calendar though - bear in mind that this is my missus' phone so I haven't played too much. (My employer doesn't think I'm worthy of a data package to my phone, so at the moment a smartphone would be pointless)

Moon, I think you can get by without the g-mail, when I got my Droid I signed up for g-mail just to combine my e-mail accounts, it does combine all contacts into one place which is good for me.

Thing about the gmail is you have no option for encryption and it's subject to Google's privacy statement, which is expect no privacy. If they want t sync stuff, I got all sorts of other email accounts to do that with.

Back