• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sherman version?

Tim A.

This Sherman sits in front of the Attica IN. VFW. I played on it when I was a kid. What variant of the M4 is it?
Screenshot_20221115-130831.png
Screenshot_20221115-130808.png

Well it's a Cast hull with HVSS suspension, I generally think the Easy8 M4A3E8 but the cast hull is throwing me. Let me see if I can find my Sherman book if someone doesn't chime in pretty quick.

Ah here it is.

M4 A1 76 MM gun.

Last edited:
Well it's a Cast hull with HVSS suspension, I generally think the Easy8 M4A3E8 but the cast hull is throwing me. Let me see if I can find my Sherman book if someone doesn't chime in pretty quick.

Ah here it is.

M4 A1 76 MM gun.
Thanks I don't know anything about all the different variants of the M4. I've never built a Sherman but after watching "Fury" the 4th time I'm finally inspired to do one and of course the one I like (the VFW one) looks a little different, with the bigger main gun and the all cast hull. I was looking at Tamiya's easy eight. But as you said, the hull is welded on that kit.

My mistake, M4A1(76)W to be specific.
But I'm not seeing a kit with the HVSS Suspension. Guess you could get Easy8 kit for a donor.

Thanks for your help Bob. I found a site that lists all the surviving HVSS 76's. The Attica Sherman is among them and says it was probably built June of '45.

Does seem to be a bit of a odd bird doesn't it?
What's that website, would like to check it out.

I checked in my 'modelling the Sherman' book and found a reference to a 4D-2c M4A1 Late HVSS Hull, which really surprised me as I was sure it was a post war mock-up. The info on this hull says....
The Type 4A cast glacis hull had its final layout version with the advent of the HVSS suspension and wide track - 4D-2c M4A1
WIN_20221116_17_28_55_Pro.jpg

.....and here are all the type 4A cast glacis variants which gives a good overview of how complicated Sherman model variant identification can be with thsese being only 1 type of hull variant.
WIN_20221116_17_29_49_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Does seem to be a bit of a odd bird doesn't it?
What's that website, would like to check it out.
I don't know how to put add a link here 🤭 But this screen shot is how the site appears on a Google search. Good clear pics of all of the survivors and where they are.
Screenshot_20221116-075220.png

This is a very late production M4A1E8. These are a rear bird for sure...interesting that it has the T66 tracks
If you have not see this yet check this website it will answer A LOT of Sherman questions.

SHERMAN MINUTIA

If I were to build this I would go with the following kits
For turret and running gear -- M4A3E8
For the Hull -- M1 Super Sherman

If you have any more questions please ask
Looking Forward to see how you tackle this project
:victory:

I checked in my 'modelling the Sherman' book and found a reference to a 4D-2c M4A1 Late HVSS Hull, which really surprised me as I was sure it was a post war mock-up. The info on this hull says....
The Type 4A cast glacis hull had its final layout version with the advent of the HVSS suspension and wide track - 4D-2c M4A1
View attachment 154706

.....and here are all the type 4A cast glacis variants which gives a good overview of how complicated Sherman model variant identification can be with thsese being only 1 type of hull variant.
View attachment 154707
Thanks Ian. Wide tracks too🤦 This is getting insane now😆
With these late variants I would think they would have the welded hull. But they all appear to have what looks to be the early all cast hull.

This is a very late production M4A1E8. These are a rear bird for sure...interesting that it has the T66 tracks
If you have not see this yet check this website it will answer A LOT of Sherman questions.

SHERMAN MINUTIA

If I were to build this I would go with the following kits
For turret and running gear -- M4A3E8
For the Hull -- M1 Super Sherman

If you have any more questions please ask
Looking Forward to see how you tackle this project
:victory:
Thanks errains. Ah... The super Sherman. I was wondering what all parts I would need to put one together. Thanks for the info and link👍

Sure you could use the Tamiya M51 but..... there are two areas that will be an issue.
1) The engine deck is totally different on the M51. You will source an A1 Deck for the correction
2) the main gun and mantel are different as well so correct ones will need sourcing too.

I'm not aware of any kits of this version of the Sherman with having to do a bit of bashing to get what your looking for.

Just some food for thought

The earliest date I've seen so far for this variant is the fall of '44. I wonder if any actually saw action in WWII?

You know you gotta build this now. :devil:
I like the odd ball stuff for sure. Not to mention the memories of sitting on the turret as a kid drinking my 7up while my grandad (American Legion member) drank his PBR chatting with his VFW buddies.
It'll be fun gathering up all the right parts to build it too.

Back