• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sherman Mk III Initial, Direct vision

stevenk

Hello-

I've been having a hankerin' for something British lately, and I settled on Cyber-hobby's Sherman Mk III Initial version, direct vision. This will be finished as a vehicle at the beginning of the second battle of El Alamein, November 1942. All the photoetch you see came with the kit, and it was not easy to work with, especially the sand shields. Handles were replaced with fine wire. As you can see, the lower part of the Sherman had already been painted with Model Master's tan (sort of an orange color). I needed to paint the suspension and install the tracks before I could install the sand shields.
Comments, critiques are welcome, and as always, thanks for looking :)

Steven

DSCN2672_401.jpg

DSCN2677_406.jpg

DSCN2678_407.jpg

DSCN2671_400.jpg

DSCN2674_403.jpg

DSCN2675_404.jpg

DSCN2676_405.jpg

DSCN2664_393.jpg

DSCN2666_395.jpg

DSCN2668_397.jpg

DSCN2669_398.jpg

Looks very nice, Steven! I really like the brass work! Makes me want to build a Shermie! (Oh crap! Did I say that out loud???)

I built the slightly later Mk III version and finished it as an Anzio vehicle. I was pleasantly surprised at the fit and quality of the finish on the dragon kit. Not as good as Tasca but WAY better than the old DML shermans. Yours is looking really good so far. At least you managed to fit your sand shields, I gave up on mine...they were one part that definately didn't fit right.

PB173043.jpg

Pb133021.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys. The brass was definitely a challenge- I would have preferred plastic counterparts as an option. Soldering the brass shields was the easy part- getting them to fit properly on the tank, that's an entirely differnt story :blink
Working on the primer now, should have pics up soon.

By the way Iowabrit, that's a very nice Sherman you posted. I kinda like the way the Commonwealth forces camo'd their shermans.

Steven

iowabrit wrote:
I built the slightly later Mk III version and finished it as a sicily vehicle. I was pleasantly surprised at the fit and quality of the finish on the dragon kit. Not as good as Tasca but WAY better than the old DML shermans. Yours is looking really good so far. At least you managed to fit your sand shields, I gave up on mine...they were one part that definately didn't fit right.

PB173043.jpg

Pb133021.jpg

Hi there.

I s there any way you could use the kit sand shields as patterns for thin styrene ones?

Cheers from Peter

Hey Steven
That is looking quite good mate.
What are the differences betweent the DML and Cyberhobby versions of this tank?
I know the instructions probably suggest the placement of the lifting eyes at such a high position on the turret sides, but I have not seen this on any Sherman photos before? I'm not all savvy on Brit Shermans, but as they were all US of origin of which I've seen many photos, I doubt very much this was a field mod... :blink :laugh:
Any chance of pushing the inner wall of the right fender closer to the final drive housing?There is a small gap there; more noticeable as a close up though I imagine ;)
Brad

Steven: Thanks bud. I didn't mean to highjack your thread. Your model is looking really good so far...keep us posted.

Peter: yes I'm sure you could copy them on to styrene...dunno why I didnt think of that. Not that it mattered cos my subject doesn't have them fitted anyway. The other alternative would be to find someone with some unused Tasca ones which are beautifully done.

Brad: the concord books 'British Sherman Tanks' and 'British Armour In Sicily and Italy' contain numerous photos of sherman III's with the lifting eye in that position. When I saw the kit instructions I was, like you, sceptical, but it appears they are correct.

Hello-

here is an update on my British Sherman. I gave it a base coat of Model Master faded olive drab, in my opinion a very nice color. The masking job I did was tedious, glad it's over :laugh: The next step will be to mask off the areas of olive drab camo with silly putty, and then spray the middlestone color over it, another Model Master color.
Thanks for looking, and comments and critiques, questions are welcomed :)
Steven

DSCN2692_421.jpg

DSCN2699_428.jpg

DSCN2698_427.jpg

DSCN2697_426.jpg

Hi Stephen,

Interesting way you have painted the sherman,

I like this variant,look forward to seeing more.

Michael :)

Hello-

Here is an update- I masked off the areas I wanted to stay olive drab with Silly Putty, which is real easy stuff to work with, and is reuseable. I sprayed the camo color of RAF Middlestone over it, and removed the silly putty one the paint dried. I gave the vehicle its initial washes of brown, still have some to clean up yet. Once I apply the decals, I will drybrush faded colors over the camo, and weather the vehicle with chips/scratches, add the tools, accumulate dust, ect.
Thanks for looking (as always :) )
Steven
DSCN2715_444.jpg

DSCN2716_445.jpg

DSCN2717_446.jpg

DSCN2721_450.jpg

DSCN2722_451.jpg

DSCN2724_453.jpg

DSCN2725_454.jpg

Thank you guys! :)
Here's a few more shots, had some modelling time over the weekend....
Thanks for looking
Steven
DSCN2730_459.jpg

DSCN2729_458.jpg

DSCN2728_457.jpg

DSCN2726_455.jpg

Here is an update on the weathering process on the Sherman. Did some more pinwashes, drybrushing, and starting to add the tools. Still need to add scratches, chips, and dusting, ect.
Thanks for looking :)
Steven

DSCN2866_595.jpg

DSCN2865_594.jpg

DSCN2863_592.jpg

DSCN2862_591.jpg

DSCN2859_588.jpg

DSCN2857_586.jpg

DSCN2856_585.jpg

DSCN2855_584.jpg

That looks awesome Steven. What made you go with yellow on the lower hull and running gear? I have no idea whether it's historically accurate or not, I'm just curious.

Ted

Back