• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sherman 18's B-17G

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
Here it is. I'm going to try my hand at a B-17G. Now I just have to get a news paper and shoot a photo before I start. The plan is do a wheels up, flying with a base, and bare metal.

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

003%7E1.JPG

Alittle disapointed that the kit does not included the late tail gunner turret. So I just may have to go with it anyways. Or does anyone know where I can get one?

Does anyone know where I can get a seated bomber crew for this?

Any ideas what to do with the props? Clear circles? Cut sheet plastic kinda zig zaggy?

I thought the new clear one had the Cheyenne turret.

Looks like "Bit o Lace" had the older style tail anyway.

Really looking forward to this Jeff.

Late B-17G aircraft had staggered guns and the Pumpkin (a.k.a Cheyenne) tail turret. Koster Aero Enterprises 04 (vacuum-formed set), Paragon Design 48105 (resin), and Verlinden Productions 718 (resin & PE) all include the turret.

Cutting Edge were listed to release the turrets but I do not know if they ever did.

I sent you a PM with my recommendation of where to buy.

Good luck with staggering the waist gun locations as I believe that release has them in line.

Regards,

Looks like "Bit o Lace" had the older style tail anyway.
bit+o%27+lace+one.jpg

42-97976_a.jpg

lrkn1.jpg

Late tail as in the profile.

It used to be known as Louie the Creep before a change of crews changed the name:
42-97976.jpg

Older tail here.
42-97976_c.jpg

Compare to image above.

A webpage dedicated to Louie the Creep/Bit O' Lace (click on image):

B-17F My Devotion seems to have the older tail as well...
MyDevotion.jpg

As always, TMI... I know... :blush:

Regards,

I can spend hours looking at those old webrings. Crying shame so many of those birds were chopped up for scrap. I wonder if the retro fit was by design or damage repair?

Notice the antiglare on the tail section, never noticed that on the pictures i've seen of other BMF aircraft.

Here it is. I'm going to try my hand at a B-17G. Now I just have to get a news paper and shoot a photo before I start. The plan is do a wheels up, flying with a base, and bare <snip>

Alittle disapointed that the kit does not included the late tail gunner turret. So I just may have to go with it anyways. Or does anyone know where I can get one?

Does anyone know where I can get a seated bomber crew for this?

Any ideas what to do with the props? Clear circles? Cut sheet plastic kinda zig zaggy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-48-KOSTER-EARLY-B-17C-D-E-LATE-G-w-CHEYENNE-/350447835551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519851999f

James

THANKS GUYS! I've got some info to soak in now! (y)

I love the color of the late version with the yellow, green and shine. Plus the pin up.

will this work for a start date?
DSC00068.jpg

Moon Puppy asked if it was a repair or retro fit for the Cheyenne turret. I found this photos from the link Sharkmouth pointed out. (Thanks Saul!) Nope the Cheyenne turret is on. So it had to be a retro fit? Now the question of the waist gunner poistions being staggered. Front the pictures of the left and right, to me the look like they are in about the same spot.

vertstab.jpg

kwcrew.jpg

kw4.jpg

kw3.jpg

kw2.jpg

kw1.jpg

after repair?
backside.jpg

Sherm great project!!! Some of the guys in my model club are suing PE props for their in flight models. Let me ask them where they got those because they are really neat.

Terry B)

Man, this bird is well documented.

Couple of things to note, the sheen on the Cheyenne turret vers where it's attached to, you can clearly see the effects of more exposure to elements, the rear section looks cleaner. Wonder if this is something picked up by black and white image but you can't really see in color.

Also the port aileron looks to be OD, maybe even that entire outer wing was one time OD.

This is a fantastic project Jeff, let's see if we can pick out some more work for ya!!! :mpup

Back