• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sheperd Paine book

Tim A.

I was given on loan "SHEPERD PAINE THE LIFE AND WORK OF A MASTER MODELER AND MILITARY HISTORIAN" by Jim Derogatis to look at this afternoon. Very nice !

Tim

Hey Tim,

I heard of that book but wasn't aware it was yet published. Who is the publisher?

Thanks,

Bob

Here is a good store and the info.
http://www.rzm.com/books/schiffer/sch9296.cfm

Something I'll have to save for.
James

Hi Bob

Schiffer Publishing Ltd.

The book is hard bound 272 pages and is beautifully done.
Packed with excellent color photograghs including examples of his work for Andrew Wyeth.

Btw Bob your on page 91

No prob Bob.

Ya know I'm fairly knew to the military modeling scene and who's who in it. My background is in model railroading and can recognize noted figures stuff among that crowd. Of course I new that Sheperd Paine did the Monogram stuff and to tell the truth bought the kits to look at the diorama photo's back then. I had know idea till I looked at this book how amazing his other works are. Especially the box dioramas. These really opened my eye's and I wondered where the h*ll I've been all this time!
I remember visiting the Chicago Art Institute back when I was looking at college's to attend. The gallery there had several of surrealist Joseph Cornell's Boxes on display and I could not believe I was standing inches away from works I had only seen in books. Those boxes had a huge influence on my own stuff.

When I saw Sheperds work and the other artist's examples in the book it stuck a cord. I guess you could say I'm going to try thinking inside the box :side:

Tim

Shep's work is awesome and has inspired me, to say the least! I am also familiar with Joseph Cornell's boxes. Absolutely phenomenal!

Bob

Yes,
I think Sheperd's "barracoon", his last boxed diorama according to the book, really blurs the line and holds it's own with the likes of Cornell.

Tim

Back