• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Seahawk - Crashed on approach.

ij001

As mentioned in my F-86 thread - "Now for something completely different" - the excellent (by all accounts) Trumpeter AW Seahawk.

with only one 'extra'

The Pavla resin 'bang-seat'.

Had the great pleasure over the years to see the RN Historic Flight demonstrating this machine at so many shows in the UK, superbly elegant and always gave a great account of itself. For this I'm using everything from the box, including the decals, no etch, no schedule, no Alclad, no detail sets just a resin seat.

Ahhh, a relaxing build for the summer :popcorn

More soon.

Ian

Seahawk

I cant remember ever seeing you do an jet before Ian

Really, Dave !!

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/wesendorf-field/128431-f-86f-sabre-f-i-n-i-s-h-e-d?start=60

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/wesendorf-field/147880-mig-17-for-the-from-russia-with-love-campaign

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/wesendorf-field/146051-f-100d-italeri-1-72-f-i-n-i-s-h-e-d?start=24

Come-on you're 'avin-a-larf incha ?

Ian

Seahawk

Excellent choice. I have been sand bagging (an American term which I am hopefully using correctly) with the sister kit. I will be following. My boxing has the German aircraft with the sharkmouths on the tanks. I did get the resin wheel bay set.

Regards,

Seahawk

I'll echo Dave, you doing a Suez bird?
James

Honestly I haven't decided. Especially back in the UK, you see a lot of these built-up at various shows, and the Suez machines easily outnumber the 'vanilla' ones by four-to-one at a rough guess. The Suez scheme is striking and attractive, but kind of over-done. There was an all red machine (an FB3 flown by 738 Squadron) and all black one flown out of Bournemouth/Hurn by the Fleet Readiness Unit but they don't really appeal.

So, the answer.... Dunno yet :idonno

Ian

Seahawk

Oh nice kit, I did one of these a few years back. Looking forward to this and I know what you mean by saying that mostly you do see these done up as Suez birds I did mine as such. However they do look 'right' like that :)

Seahawk - 'Nothing to see here, folks. Move along'

Been working on this beautiful little kit over the last few evenings, and even if it sounds a little arrogant I have to say the cockpit is looking very nice indeed. So this afternoon I negotiated a couple of hours bench-time with SWMBO, and sat down...

...IP had disappeared, gone, vanished, verschwunden, disparee.

It was definitely there yesterday afternoon but I am really 'anal' about clearing-off the bench at the end of each session, I must have cleared-off the IP with all the odds'n ends and not noticed. Needless to say I am really hacked-off with m'self, it's not going to stop me building it some other time just not now. So to cheer m'self up I dug-out a couple of 'bench queens' that are very close to finishing and made some progress...

...but for now I'm done with the Seahawk, unless of course, the IP magically reappears :bang head

Ian

Seahawk - and we're back.

...was tidying up around the bench at the weekend, and guess what, the missing IP was way-up on a higher shelf. No idea how it got up there, no idea at all, but it does mean I can resurrect this build later in the year (possibly in the Spring), great news as I really was enjoying it.

:yipee

Ian

...no, didn't wait for Spring, re-started today !!

Nothing but a little light dry-brushing over a Tamiya acrylic flat black base then a steady hand for the odd 'spot' of colour. You can just make-out that the dials are yellow - I painted the back of the kit-supplied clear film/etch sandwich to get the effect... looks neat, if I'm allowed to be smug for a moment :S .

More next week.

Ian

Quick update sans photos.

The excellent Pavla resin seat, the only extra I'm using, painted-up very nicely and dropped right into the pit without needing the sides rubbing-back as they usually do... B U T... I needed to saw almost all of the seat-pan off to get it to fit under the canopy... which it doesn't :bang head :bang head

I'll install it anyways as even with all the 'surgery' it still is kilometres/miles ahead of the kit seat. The front fuselage is together and wearing A LOT of green putty and if I can get some 'me- time' I'll be rubbing that back tomorrow.

Pics soon (Please don't post that worthless without pics thing, Bob !! :smack ). Stay tuned.

Ian

I hope to see the Pavla seat as I didn't get any aftermarket cockpit items yet for mine.

Regards,

Back