• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SdKfz 234 2 Puma - Revisiting a Shelf Queen

Chris ITA

Hi Guys,

I'm probably best known for my British Armour, and in particular Churchills! however, a couple of years ago I used to build panzers

One of the models I started back then before getting bored of balkenkruzes was Dragon's very nice 234/2 Puma

Being tight, I hate to leave a model unfinished (a waste of money!) so this weekend I decided I'd actually finish it.

Here's where I was up to when I opened the box for the first time in 2 years!:
IMG_6095.jpg

A few hours work later and I had her finished, primed and preshaded:
IMG_6695.jpg

IMG_6696.jpg

Then a couple of hours after that, my first ever tri-tone camo with an airbrush!:
IMG_6699.jpg

IMG_6700.jpg

More soon, any comments welcome :)

Thanks Mike :)

Did a fair bit on it since the last update.

First I blocked in the rest of the base colours, then added some chips via the sponge method, but not too much, I'm not a fan of the 'wreck' look. Then Klear/Future, then a raw umber wash, then another one, then a black/umber pin wash, then the oils! This was done in the SODA method. I also started rustifying the exhaust:

IMG_6711.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6709.jpg

Next job is another SODA oil application, then more exhaust rusting and some light rust streaks

Ta for looking :)

Chris

Thanks Bob :)

Done some more to it in the way of oils for streaks and rust stains, plus some matt coats:
IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

Nearly done now....

Any comments or criticisms welcome :)

Chris

I like it Chris, the colors are blended in really well. Wondering about the white spots on the muffler?

It is a beautiful,well designed kit,and you are certainly doing it justice.Look foward to it's completion.

It just keeps getting better, Chris! I really like your color choices and the weathering is quite realistic. Keep going, can't wait to see it completed! (y)

Thanks folks :laugh:

Moonpuppy, the spots are supposed to be bits of paint that haven't rusted yet. I'm not 100% happy with them yet (especially the ones on the right exhaust that are invisible thanks the the similarity in tone!) I've got a bit more to do to them

Tom SODA = Small Oil Dots All (over).

In case anyone is unfamiliar with it, you get your set of 10 or so artists oils (even the non logical colours like black and pthalo blue etc) and put random dots all over the model, at which point it looks like it has rainbow measels :huh: .

Then you take a broad flat brush and dip it in thinners (I use sanodor low odour artists oil thinners, but most use turpentine) then wipe it on a dry cloth or kitchen paper until it is only just damp

Then you draw your brush across the model in a vertical downward motion smearing the oil dots down. Clean your brush after each stroke and repeat until you only have the faintest of streaks left omn the model.

This is the important bit, no matter how faint it is and how much you think it needs more, leave it now to dry a little overnight. The next morning you will find it has become darker and more opaque. Even so you probably need to repeat it one more time, which is no problem as it just adds more tone and variation. Again, leave it to dry overnight

The good news is, if at any point you find you've overdone it, gentle wiping with a cloth slightly damp with thinners will remove it certainly within a couple of days of application

HTH

Chris :)

Hey Chris, thanks for the explanation. I have read about this method but have been way too chicken to try it out :S

Tom

You should give it a go Tom, its dead easy. Its a bit of a heart stopping moment when you put the dots on, but its difficult to go wrong and you can always clean it off with thinners. It is a good idea to give the base colours a couple of protective coats first though, especially If you've done that with oil based paint

Right, this kitty is DONE. Hope you like it :)

IMG_6757.jpg

IMG_6759.jpg

IMG_6763.jpg

IMG_6765.jpg

IMG_6754.jpg

Chris

I do not know how I missed this one . This is very nice , I am a big fan of the 234 series.

I really love your camo scheme . Do you intend to put it in a diorama ? Maybe with one of your other projects driving by ? I would love to see a figure with it to give some scale perspective .

Jenny :kiss:

Thanks Guys :)

Jenny, yes I have a vague idea for a dio for this one. The scheme is listed on the instructions as 'Normandy' so I'm thinking of having this abandoned in a ditch by a road with a british tank rolling past (I have a couple of candidates in mind) and maybe a 'keep out, this may be boobytrapped' sign on it

I'm not so hot on doing ground work though :blush: , so I'm waiting for those skills to develop a bit before I do it.

Back