• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sd.Kfz 251 kit comparisons

Ozzie Jo

Hi All...I am seeking to delve into the knowledge of any Sd.Kfz 251/1 Ausf D. experts out there in WWW land.

I am having difficulties in obtaining the correct PE sets (Voyager) for the Dragon kit of the above type. I can get the Aber sets more easily but these are unfortunately for the AFV kits and I have already have the Dragon version in my stash.
Could anybody please tell me if the AFV and Dragon kits have similar enough specs that I could use the photoetch on both? Most I will be able to get to fit but I am concerned about the fenders and the backseats/boxes as I imagine that there would be little room for adjustment...with the fenders in particular.

Thanks .... JO.

Hi Jo

I have both AFV club and Dragon versions, if you can wait about 12 hours :lol: nearly my bed time here in the UK :lol: I can sort some measurements for you? if that would help?

Theoretically they should be the same :lol: :lol: :lol: how nieve!!! as they are supposed to be 'scale' models

Dear JO.

...please look at this one...

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/misc/251-22/251-22d.htm

...and the another one...

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/misc/251-21drilling/251-21drilling.htm

...hope these comparisions help you!

Best!

Luiz.

I have had a measure up of both the Dragon and AFV club 251/1D and I'm sorry to say the dimensions differ drastically, as much as 2mm in places which is shocking, checked both the front fenders, width and length, and the length of the seat backs none match.

HTH

Ozzie Jo wrote:
Hi All...I am seeking to delve into the knowledge of any Sd.Kfz 251/1 Ausf D. experts out there in WWW land.

I am having difficulties in obtaining the correct PE sets (Voyager) for the Dragon kit of the above type. I can get the Aber sets more easily but these are unfortunately for the AFV kits and I have already have the Dragon version in my stash.
Could anybody please tell me if the AFV and Dragon kits have similar enough specs that I could use the photoetch on both? Most I will be able to get to fit but I am concerned about the fenders and the backseats/boxes as I imagine that there would be little room for adjustment...with the fenders in particular.

Thanks .... JO.

Hi there.

Apparently the AFV Club kit is 2mm *WIDER* than the Dragon kit. The AFV Club kit *IS THE ACCURATE WIDTH* of the scaled down vehicle. I don't know if you'd be able to trim the PE to fit the Dragon kit.

Good luck and cheers from Peter

Thank you to all who answered my query. I appreciate you measuring the kits for me Vlad. One would think that the two should be very similar but I am glad that I asked now and didn't assume that would be right.
I really want to make the ABER photoetch fenders and I would imagine it would be very hard to adjust them with such clean lines and straight bends so I think I might just invest in the AFV kit and save the Dragon one for another day.

Back