• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

scroungin' parts

Hi again folks. Trying to get some aftermarket stuff together for a build coming up. My question now is- will PE set for a BT-5(Aber 35003) do well on a BT-7? I am having a heck of a time looking on the web for places to get BT-7 (Eduard 35407)set. The set for BT-5 is for Italerie but the kit I'm doing is Zvezda. Are these two kits from the same family of molds? I finally found a retailer "The Barrel store" that has the BT-5 set. I'm a bit leary of ordering from Hong Kong. The Barrel Store is out of Canada which is much closer. What do you think? W.

Eduard has the set you want. And it is even on discount right now. I have ordered from them before, and they were always good to deal with. I never had to wait more than 10 days for any deliveries.

http://www.eduard.cz/
Just type in " BT-7 " in the search area in the lower left, and it will take you right there.

Gary B)

woodcutter wrote:
Hi again folks. Trying to get some aftermarket stuff together for a build coming up. My question now is- will PE set for a BT-5(Aber 35003) do well on a BT-7? I am having a heck of a time looking on the web for places to get BT-7 (Eduard 35407)set. The set for BT-5 is for Italerie but the kit I'm doing is Zvezda. Are these two kits from the same family of molds? I finally found a retailer "The Barrel store" that has the BT-5 set. I'm a bit leary of ordering from Hong Kong. The Barrel Store is out of Canada which is much closer. What do you think? W.

I have got a few goodies from The Barrel Store and the service is great. Easy to order through them and delivery to Australia went off without a hitch. I highly recommned them.

Thanks guys..
@ Gary, I will investigate that site for sure. This will shape up to be the first kit that gets AM goodies and hope it won't blow me up in my attempt. :pinch:
@ bilby its good to hear satisfied customers to re assure good service. I have both of these companies in my bookmarks now ;)

woodcutter wrote:
Thanks guys..
@ Gary, I will investigate that site for sure. This will shape up to be the first kit that gets AM goodies and hope it won't blow me up in my attempt. :pinch:
@ bilby its good to hear satisfied customers to re assure good service. I have both of these companies in my bookmarks now ;)

:Hiay

The only thing I might suggest to you is, if this is your first attempt at anything aftermarket, go slow at first and work you way up to doing ultra mega super blaster type :blink detailing. Get the hang of one type of after market product then expand into the next type. The worst thing you can do at this stage is overextend your self and get turned off of something that can be so great.

Then after you have the hang of aftermarket stuff, we can bring you into the scratch building stuff :woohoo: .

Gary B)

thanks sharky, i had a sneakin hunch that was the case. there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of daylight between those two tank variants in real life or in kit form so maybe one could get by if they had the other PE set could make it work? I really want to do something about that engine grill mostly. The parts supplied don't look all that great but I could mash it if I had to :S . The Eduard grill parts do look sweet in the photos I have seen of other people's builds- the kit's parts...not so much :)
W.

Hey Gary I see what you mean already about picking my fights wisely. There have been times where I elected to blow off trying some of that stuff when it was included as part of the kit. Oh well I get to save the extras in the spare parts box where they will be waiting for the right time to add it to a future build. baby steps

Build your own screening, not hard if to try. The only thing I would replace are the mantlet and gun (I used a set from JS Models of Finland). This was to handle the asymmetric gun mount. On my kit, I bought the Aber PE and Masterclub tracks. Yet, the BT-5 needed a new scratchbuild hull top (I did the complete hull since I wanted to add an interior - resin engine from a Russian company and copies of the Spanish manual to help with the rest).

Here is a preserved BT-5:
http://legion-afv.narod.ru/BT-5_Kirovsk.html

Good luck and enjoy your modeling.

thanks sharky for the bt-5 pics. I got them saved. In the pics it looks like the outside surfaces are really rough cast, or is it an example of one that was found under a bog after 70 yrs and restored?
What do you you think the grill material could be made of if not am products? I have gotten by using window screen (OT-26), tiger 1(P), but it won't work in all cases :unsure:

Back