• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scribing tools

Fireball

Not sure if I am in the right spot or not but anyway I'm new to scribing and got Tamiya's scribing tool. Kind a looks like a razor knife with a hooked blade and now wondering if another tool would have been a better choice. Does anyone have experience with Tamiya' scribing tool or any comment/suggestion?
Fireball

Welcome to the forum! I don't have a Tamiya scriber, but have seen reviews of it. Like any tool, it's not going to be the only one you'll use, fit it to your application. Best wishes!

There are a number of choices for scribers depending on what you want to do. The Tamiya ones are pretty nice but take a bit of getting used to. I would recommend practicing on a sheet of plastic or a dead kit. Dont try to scribe your line all in one go as this will cause you headaches in the long run. I would recommend getting some dyno tape or metal guides. I have used masking tape but found it can move a bit on you.
I'll apologize in advance for not going into detail but hands ache too much so here is a half decent video I found.

I do have other scribers as well and some are what I would consider to be quite expensive. All have different feels to them and some can be quite destructive to the model if not controlled properly. If you are just starting the Tamiya scriber is a good tool to learn on and you might fnd you never need to buy another type. I use mine more than the other scribers for everything from scribing to scoring through to remove a piece for a conversion to removing the miniart buildings from their backing sheet.
I hope that is of some help.
James

I actually made mine. The thing is that Mike and James both put forth the best advice. It isn't so much the tool as how you use it. Take things slow and easy and practice. Until you get some feel for how the tool works and what you will need to do to get the results you want, take things slow and light. Each tool is different, it isn't so much the tool as it is the user that makes the difference.

I have several of the Tamiya scribing tools and like them, however they are fragile so don't drop them or put side loads on them. Multiple light passes work best for me.

howdy Fireball!
I got several things, one is like a nail point inside a handle. Nice sharp point that hasn't dulled.
Another is a tool from UMM website.

Then there's the good ol' back of a #11 exacto blade. OH, and the razor saw blade thing, forget the name.

My scriber is by Bare metal foil and is perfect for panel lines.
ThatElderlyFiddlercrab-max-1mb.gif

Ps
And Jlc razor saw or from similar brand.

Last edited:
Back