• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Saw this pic

paddy

Came across this pic today and thought........ one for the ship building diorama guys here :)

Royal Navy Type 42 Destroyer

144d05e9e78484711033d592caaff2cf.jpg

Dive dive dive

Last edited:
Do you mean to tell me, that the ocean isn't always flat-calm? Balderdash! :lol:

A very interesting photo to be sure!

Teresa follows the FB 1/700 Modeler's group. So often I see a very realistic model ship and the ocean base just fails her. Once a guy built a really cool, waterline warship at anchor, flags flying, crew, busy about the deck, a sailboat off the larboard quarter. A very interesting diorama, but his sailboat was sailing AGAINST his wind.

For your perusal:
IMG_E2670.JPGIMG_E2672.JPGIMG_E2668.JPGIMG_E2669.JPGIMG_E3171.JPG
It is not my contention that the ocean is calm and Samurai Bathtubs are stormy. (Just this one time!)

Cool picture! Must be deep in a trough!

I remember the worst seas I had seen, was out with some fishermen on a commercial shark trip and we got caught in some hurricane force winds after hauling back the gear for 18 hrs straight. The old ship would only do 8 knts, 150', an old Norweigian Longliner. We couldn't outrun it so we just had to jog with the waves. She'd roll from one side to the other! I think the waves were about 35-40' and that was plenty for me. It was a LONG sleepless night!

Norweigian Longliner

Could this be the next TLR project?

I went on the SS Jeremiah O'Brien that was docked on SF Bay, the gentle rocking even at dock about got me. Can't imagine being in waters like taht. I went USAF for a reason, north Dakota wasn't the reason but there was some reason.

Here's the old girl!

After they ended the shark fishing it was sold and then got caught up smuggling drugs into Canada

Do you mean to tell me, that the ocean isn't always flat-calm? Balderdash! :lol:

A very interesting photo to be sure!

Teresa follows the FB 1/700 Modeler's group. So often I see a very realistic model ship and the ocean base just fails her. Once a guy built a really cool, waterline warship at anchor, flags flying, crew, busy about the deck, a sailboat off the larboard quarter. A very interesting diorama, but his sailboat was sailing AGAINST his wind.

For your perusal:
View attachment 170248View attachment 170249View attachment 170246View attachment 170247View attachment 170251
It is not my contention that the ocean is calm and Samurai Bathtubs are stormy. (Just this one time!)

Loved that build Chris!!

Loved that build Chris!!
I got a lot of laughs with that model! The last picture shows the samurai bath duckie and herbal soap cake in place. It survived our recent tornado in sheltered metal shelf. Other of my award winners were not so fortunate.

F/V Bakur is your shark boat? TN-468, The 1961-built vessel? There is another Bakur, registered in the Faroe Islands in 2002.
S/V Mandalay is a beautiful subject, indeed! Is she a yawl? The 32-foot Longliners I make for the 1/700 Canadian Maritime set don't fit the bill. They look a little like Andrea Gail, the ill-fated Gloucester Sword boat.

I do seem specialize in the esoteric. The obscure. The models no one else makes. Hmm.............

20240601_183810.jpg
Something like these trawlers, Warren, but smaller. Few references are readily available for F/V Bakur. I wish for a 3 view deckplan with a scale.
Which scale should she be? Price point?
Your thoughts, Mr. Sharkman?

This escalated quickly. :popcorn
I hijacked this really quickly in any case. :stinker::tomato:
Apologies, Paddy!

These 3D printed 1/700 St. Giles H220 trawler's are 168 feet LOA. and too wide in the Beam by 7.2 feet. Bakur is (she's a yacht now) 144.4 feet LOA, with a beam of 23 feet.

View attachment 170260
Something like these trawlers, Warren, but smaller. Few references are readily available for F/V Bakur. I wish for a 3 view deckplan with a scale.
Which scale should she be? Price point?
Your thoughts, Mr. Sharkman?

They look like they could fit the part, but as to answers to your questions, I don't have the faintest! Don't have fond memories of that ship. I was on her for 1 - 45 day trip. Trying to block that trip from my memory!!

:lol: :bash:

I saw that they have a newer registered Bakur, she looks like a nicer ship! I think the name translated to a black-backed herring gull.

20240602_073751.jpg
So, Warren was telling us about Bakur's story. I'm like "Warren's shark ship? Heck yeah! I can do that!" It seems our Sharkman has little affinity for the plodding rust-bucket that was F/V Bakur, so I reduced speed to steerage way.

Chopping off 24 scale feet (see the black mark?) of stern from a St. Giles H220 trawler would get the overall length correct. She would still be too beamy. It would be close, but not correct.

OR!! Weeks of measuring, shaping, grinding, and sanding to make the proper, correct 1/700 drug-bust ship Bakur Master could be done as well.

For now, work will progress on getting the 1/700 Canadian Maritime History set finished up and listed. 1812 Nancy top-sail schooner, Stan Rogers' 1778 Antelope sloop of "Barrett's Privateers" song fame, The "Make and Break Harbor" song kindly Cape Islander fishing boat and a Cape Island lobster boat from Halifax, NS. TLAR Kit 821.

Back