• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Rusty inspiration

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
red_gmc_20100804_1798143260.jpg

Dad is cleaning off some pictures from old hard drives and found this. It's a 1960s era GMC tractor. I know someone can be more specific when they see it, Maybe Sherman will ID it pretty quick.

The original color was, if I recall, a bright yellow, like highway safety sign yellow. The sign on the door is pealed off. "Britt" Construction and then the phone number.

Thought you'd all like this.

Good photo. Whats really good here is the tonal differences in the rust on the truck and the tank(?) in the foreground!

Thanks

Yeah John, that's a tank of some sort there. Two actually, the smaller one would have been an above ground storage tank. The big one, I never saw before, no clue. I'm not even sure where this was. The landscape in the background is throwing me off, doesn't look like any property we ever owned.

Notice the drive shaft in the foreground.

I would say that is a 1964 GMC, I like that body style all those curves!
I love photos like this, think of the history the vehicle could tell.

I know the history that truck can tell...not to mention the others that were in his fleet. They ol' guys who drove those trucks. Dad had a paving business back then. Got some pretty good contracts, I remember he got a contract to do the ramp at Charleston AFB, think this was about 1971 or so. He tells the story about driving a motor grader over the Cooper River Bridge to have something fixed over in Mt Pleasant. If you know Charleston and the Cooper River Bridge, this was the OLD two 10foot lanes (that's white knuckle drivin' there).

I'll see if I can find some more, he had some interesting situations with vehicles.

You're right Sherm, the flowing lines of those 60s era GM trucks were just too cool.

Not sure about the details of the truck, but I do love the rust on it. :cheer:
Hope you don't mind me down loading the pics for rust color ref.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com

That's why I put it out there Rob. Dad has all his pictures on a external HDD now and I'm going to check over it to find some more stuff.

Here's some more,
p5190003_20100807_1339847607.jpg

p1010002_20100807_1275455061.jpg

I can't tell you how many road trips this wagon took to Myrtle Beach. Back in the 60s and 70s Mom would chaperon my sisters friends from High School. There I was going to the beach with 15-20 highschool girls and far too young to appreciate it.

If you put a set chrome steelie babymoon rims threw a blanket over the seat and a couple of surf boards on the rack of that wagon you could roll into any ratrod show and people would drool over it!

Tim

moon puppy wrote:
I know the history that truck can tell...not to mention the others that were in his fleet. They ol' guys who drove those trucks. Dad had a paving business back then. Got some pretty good contracts, I remember he got a contract to do the ramp at Charleston AFB, think this was about 1971 or so. He tells the story about driving a motor grader over the Cooper River Bridge to have something fixed over in Mt Pleasant. If you know Charleston and the Cooper River Bridge, this was the OLD two 10foot lanes (that's white knuckle drivin' there).

I'll see if I can find some more, he had some interesting situations with vehicles.

You're right Sherm, the flowing lines of those 60s era GM trucks were just too cool.

Stories would be neat. I've been digging up photos from my Grandfathers truck line. It is neat to remember how he talked of these trucks. More would be quite COOL!

Back