• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Roden Opel 3.6-47 DAK Omnibus Kubel Paint 3/5/22

This just popped up for me. Way cool! I can only imagine the wild interiors that could be built up. Goerings rolling bordello?

Funny you should say that, the idea was discussed. 😸

As I had said, there's not been much time at the bench, but progress has been made. I decided to paint up a load of stowage, knowing I will likely overdo it, but better too much than not enough. Here's what's going on.

IMG_1478.JPG

I found this cool PE set, yes, I know it's not a German spool, but play along.

IMG_1479.JPG

The set builds up easily and looks great.
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG

I have acquired a lot of stowage items over the years and have painted up what I thought a crew would want in North Africa.
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG

I started chipping the bus with a sponge and some of the gray base color. There's more to come on that, I'm just getting started. I started fiddling with some suitcases, not happy with the handle yet, pretty crude right now.

IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG

I'll mess with it next weekend, I have an idea to try.

Thanks for coming by, there's lots more to come.

:Drinks:
IMG_1488.JPG

Nice to see that you got some time at the bench at last! Da ol Magic Bus is look awesome and with all the kool little details!!
:dude: :popcorn

Yeah, the lack of a pivot is what I don't like, doesn't look finished. I'm going to rummage through the spare PE and see what turns up.

Hiya Mike , how's the kit and fit on the bus ?
Nice touch on the suitcases and I like the tonal variations on the bus !!

Hey guys, thanks!

Glenn, the fit is pretty good, you just have the get your mind around the multi pieced body and be patient. I'd hate to think what would happen if it got dropped. :doh:

Thanks, Kenny! There's more to come.

Wow, it's been nearly two years of being sidetracked from the bus project! :doh: Somehow, I've managed to put off the inevitable, but the chickens have come home to roost. I broke out the bus box and in addition to painting the stowage I'd already done, I decided to add another vehicle and some additional fun stuff. If you're signed in, you may enlarge some of the images by clicking on them.

IMG_2470 (2).JPG

There's more stowage, but I haven't shot photos.
I acquired this Kubelwagen, thinking it might work with the bus scene.
IMG_2469 (2).JPG

It's a pretty nice kit, comes with everything you see there, except sand. It builds up pretty fast too.
IMG_2535 (2).JPG

Had a little fun with fire.
IMG_2536 (2).JPG

IMG_2558 (2).JPG

IMG_2559 (2).JPGIMG_2560 (2).JPGIMG_2561.JPG
At the tip of the tweezers are the drawer pulls Dragon intended the builder to use. I ruined two between the crazy attachment points and the fact their square peg didn't fit their punched hole. :bang head I dug around my spare PE bin and found some suitable replacements.
IMG_2562 (2).JPG
Moving forward.
IMG_2563 (2).JPG
Next victim! Start here.
IMG_2564 (2).JPG
Fold, spindle AND mutilate!
IMG_2565 (2).JPGIMG_2566 (2).JPG
The piece on the left has the drawer guides folded, an interesting task. :eyeroll: Keep going!
IMG_2567 (2).JPGIMG_2568 (2).JPG
The drawers fit nicely and work!
IMG_2569 (2).JPG
I didn't have enough replacement handles for two per drawer, so I filled the holes and centered the pulls.

As if that wasn't enough punishment, I've had this brass funnel set forever, never had the nerve to try rolling the taper until now. What the hell? No balls, no babies, right?

IMG_2494 (2).JPG
Rolling the center section was pretty straightforward, although soldering the butt joint was tricky. Next!
IMG_2493 (2).JPG

Using my PE roller set from The Small Shop, I rolled the basic shape of the cone, then finished rolling it with my fingers and the rubber pad on the back. No progress photos while the shaping was done, bad words were said. Surprisingly, the smallest piece, the tip of the funnel was the easiest to form. Soldering it up was interesting, more bad words were uttered and I placed an order for some low temperature solder in case the situation arises again. In primer!
IMG_2570 (2).JPG
The Kubel is in primer, more updates later today. There's a rumor I needed to get off my ass, more on that later. Thanks for coming by!

Last edited:
:wow::wow: ... That is really some seriously good PE work! Looking forward to seeing this project crossing the finish line.
:good:

Uh, I don't think it was a rumor Mike!

S'bout time! Great to see you back at it though. The brass is lookin great! Some nice stuff goin on!:vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood:

Hang in there!

Back