• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Road Warriors Signup

Oh well. Not a big deal.

Its the only thing I've got in my stash that I thought might qualify so I figured I'd ask. Whats the time frame for this campaign, 6 months? If I happen to get something that qualifies, then I'll join, but I dont have any plans on getting anything specifically for the campaign.

I've got a Tamiya Horch w/ flak. Is that an acceptable model?

TamiyaGermanHorch1Amit2cmFlak38009.jpg

I'm afraid not the vehicle must be armed. Pulling a gun does not make it armed.

Sorry :(

Hey you know what I really don't care If you guys want to build a Volkswagen with a pistol in the seat that's fine with me.

B)

Im not worried about it. I understand what the intent of the campaign is, and I didnt think the Horch would qualify b/c its not armored, but I figured it was worth asking after seeing what the other proposed entries were. I look at an AFV being something like an LAV, or a Stryker, or Puma.

Im not worried about it. I understand what the intent of the campaign is, and I didnt think the Horch would qualify b/c its not armored, but I figured it was worth asking after seeing what the other proposed entries were. I look at an AFV being something like an LAV, or a Stryker, or Puma.

It doesn't need to be armored. Example a Hummer is armed, but not armored.

:D

Well my view on AFW is skewed with what I grew up with. In the war in Angola our vehicles were all mostly wheeled vehicles and the armor was more meant to tame the landmine and small calibre weapons.

Speed and reliability was more important. I guess you can say our view was more that they are armed fighting vehicles. So you had Ratels with 12 mm armor taking on T55 tanks and winning just because they were fast and more manouverable.

I guess I just look at it differently. I thought the whole point of an armored fighting vehicle, was armor and armament.

A lot of it comes from the type of area your going to fight in. Our vehicles would be woefully underarmored in Europe. There you have towns and base areas every few kilometres. Here a patrol could easily be 500km long. One deep insurgence into Angola that SA made was almost 1000km into Angola. Also compared to Europe Africa is very undeveloped. Few roads and even fewer towns. Reliability is and was of the utmost importance. Armor just weighs too much and brings up the downtime.

Tracked vehicles has a 30% downtime in Europe because of breakages and wear and tear. Our standard was 3% downtime. This is achieved by using the wheel and lightening the weight of the vehicle. Also by using wider wheels you overcome some of the superiority of tracked vehicles has especialy in rainy season.

The russian BMR also showed itself to be a superior weapon system in africa for exactly the same reason.

I'm in with a couple of projects. I will start with a WC51 "BEEP" weapons carrier by Skybow and then M3A1 White Scout Car by Hobby Boss

Terry B)

Does this fit the criteria? Not for me... asking for ahhhh...ummm... a friend. Yeah! That's the ticket, a friend!

8301.jpg

Regards,

"Where do we sign up to be friends?"

Tell you what, you pick up the AFV Club M-10 and, if you cover the shipping, I will send you an M-10 (external parts only)... sounds fair? Between both, you should be able to gather the best for one killer model and the second not so bad. Like the movie Twins:
twins-original.jpg

Regards,

Time line is good, subject matter is good - so i'm in. I'll need to have a quick sqizz what's on offer at Hannants or Sprue bro's and decide on subject later.

Back