• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Richard de Vere, 11th Earl of Oxford KG

RichB

Richard de Vere (15 Aug 1385 - 15 Feb 1417) was involved in three forays to France, the most notable being Henry V's invasion in 1415 and was a commander at Agincourt on 25 Oct 1415.

Broke Verlinden's 200mm bust out of the stash back in January.

Start~8.jpg

Only 4 parts to assemble.

Assy.jpg

In the time since then I have been playing with ways to paint armour. My first try came out looking to old and worn for an Earl and had a bit of green tint from using too much Burnt Umber. So I stripped it down, re-primed him and he sat on the bench glowering at me until tonight.

First step is apply a base metallic, in this case I used Vallejo Oily Steel.

Front1.jpg

Back1.jpg

After letting it dry for about 20-30 minutes I applied a scrub coat of Payne's Grey with a touch of Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna.

Front2.jpg

Back2.jpg

I then thinned it back using a clean, dry make-up brush letting some of the paint remain in the joints and around raised details. Applying a bit of pressure polishes the surface and gives it a nice sheen.

Front3.jpg

Back3.jpg

I will let the oils set up before moving on to the next steps.

A word of advice, do not attempt to "liberate" make-up brushes from the sacred temple we mere mortals know as a bathroom. The High Priestess that rules that domain jealously guards these scared instruments and can rain down great wrath upon outsiders who covet them.

Cheers,
Rich

Very nice start there Rich .... :popcorn ..... Sometimes when contemplating life on my throne ....... I have discovered ..... That the High Priestess that rules that domain and jealously guards these scared instruments ..... has found She no longer has need these item and puts them in the burial chamber ....... A virtual plethora of treasures ...... don't dig to deeply you never knoweth what You'll find .... :eek:ldguy

A word of advice, do not attempt to "liberate" make-up brushes from the sacred temple we mere mortals know as a bathroom. The High Priestess that rules that domain jealously guards these scared instruments and can rain down great wrath upon outsiders who covet them.

Cheers,
Rich

Opps....

Rich what is a "scrub coat"?

Cheers,
Rich

Opps....

Rich what is a "scrub coat"?

I use a medium stiff brush and scrub the paint onto the surface so it works into any joints and around details. I'm not looking for solid opaque coverage. Using the dry make-up brushes works like a reverse dry brushing, removing the excess oil paints but leaving enough to tint the base coat and start building some depth of colour.

Cheers,
Rich

Back