• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Review : Alliance Modelworks Uniform decals

AndyFettes

Master at Arms
A while ago I purchased 3 sets of these decals at a local hobby show from CRM Hobbies

Alliance Modelworks are a relatively "new" company to the model scene and hail from Missouri

http://www.am-works.com/store/

As you can see from the website they have a load of sets to choose from but for the purpose of this review I shall concentrate of the Waffen SS set Lw 35049 and shall compare these to some Archer SS sets that I already own.

IMG_3704.JPG

The set is nicely presented in its clear packet, the sets consists of one largish full colour decal sheet, a PE set of awards and medals,a PE set of shoulder boards, a colour information sheet

Heres the examples

IMG_3705.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG

As you can see, the graphic element of these are quite superb and minute detail is produced really very well

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

Within the set you can use a multitude of service arms and ranks,...infantry flak recon etc etc also included are helmet decals, chevrons,, arm and hat eagles, death heads

There also is very little film overlap to "silver up"

Method of application is for any other wet decal that you may have used in the past but the manufacturer recommends the use of Mr Mark setter should you need it ( I found that I didnt )

Comparison

I am a great fan of Archer dry decals and have used them many times but find that you have to doctor the decals to suit your needs

Ok so you have full colour versus black and white decals,....and if you dont want to paint those little lines of red or yellow on the boards well theres no choice really

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

The quality does shine through

CONS,..da da daaaaaaaaaaaa !

theres always going to be some cons with whatever you are using right ?

I found once applied the decals are very very glossy and it gave me a bit of a "Oh No" moment however a simple fix for this is an application of a matting solution like Vallejo matt varnish but Ive lost mine and so I had to give the decals a light wash of field grey to tone them down abit,...I also found that the field grey is the should board was a bit light for my liking so I repainted that ( i used the Whehrmact version of the decals for my latest project.

I also feel that the collar boards may appear to be a bit long

No information supplied on the awards and medals

You cant use them dry !

PRO`S

Lots of them,...quality,... ease of use,.... choice

I think $13 for a set is quite good value due to you being able to use them on a lot of figures where as Archer you have to buy 3 sets of $7 each to get enough to do 1 full figure

I love the medals/awards they are so well done the choice to do your own shoulder boards is good too

I dont do ratings for things,.. but suffice to say that I like em and would stick on this page a few thumbs up icons

I am NOT connected to Alliance Modelworks in any way just an enthusiastic customer

I hope this helps (y) (y) (y) (y)

Awesome Andy. I saw that Sprue Brothers has their stuff, so another shopping trip I guess.
Thanks (y) (y)
James

VERY Cool looking stuff, good write up Andy. AMazing the detail they are getting on this stuff nowadays.

ANDY,

These Do look Bad AZZ. So am I correct to believe that the Decals & P.E. shoulder boards come in th same set along with th Medals ? It looks like it may be a neither or type of set ? Considering that th Officer P.E. shoulder Board has the braid on it &the Decal does as well ??

The Collar Tabs are Off-Th-Chain, Detailed to th 9's !!! These ROCK !!!

Thanx for th Review ANDY & for Bringing this to Our attention !!

:drinks

Lots of nice detail in these.........but please people, try not to go overboard putting stuff on your figures, sometimes you will end up with walking Christmas trees!!

Back