• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 1/720 DKM Graf Zeppelin 1946 Revisited

Thanks Men! Tonight I made a good supper for my Sweetie and went to the Nut Department "For a few minutes" to sand the filler on GZ's new gun tubs. Then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMG_E7241.JPG

Since NO German Naval engineer installs new equipment on a combat vessel without some kind of support, I did THIS!
Not as clean as a streamlined sponson, but less bulky. GZ and the US Navy Yorktown class CV were very close in loaded tonnage displacement and performance even though The Graf looks a little smaller. This Graf Zeppelin, without the useless forward barbette mounted guns, with Her spray strakes and increase in smaller caliber AA wep's, is a might faster, but still wouldn't carry quite as many as 90 aircraft. She probably would have had shorter legs as well. No extended Pacific cruises for The Graf.

Thanks for looking in! :salute::oldguy::pilot

Where did you get that construction hardware?
Many moons ago when I started GZ, I bought some Lion Roar 1/700 IJN "Perforated Bar" photo-etch. I think I got from Freetime Hobbies when they were in Blue Ridge, GA. There are about 20 different sizes of triangular perforated girder.

I am humbled by the encouragement of members I admire and respect. Oh! You other guys too!! HA!
This is lots of fun to build! I bought parts for GZ for a long time.
Mike's IAW campaign is what sparked the inspiration to make other than a Kit Graf Zeppelin! (lots of other fun models too!) Thanks Mike!

How on God's Good Green Earth would launching BF-109T's on a buggy ever be productive? Then two, how would the least sturdy of all German fighter aircraft ever survive any arrested landing? If you're flying a "disposable" Messerschmitt, better to save weight and remove the landing gear altogether.

The durable Stuka seems a logical choice, excepting Her short range. If you escape defending fighter aircraft and survived lethal VT anti-aircraft fire, a Pilot would have lots of time to line up and trap aboard. The same could be said of the venerable Fi-167 Kastendrachen. Just my personal impressions.

Thanks for looking in! I appreciate it very much!:notworthyoldguy::salute:

IMG_E7736.JPGIMG_E7737.JPG
Remember this Old Lady? GZ got some paint tonight too! White for the false bow & stern, a false stern from above to blend with Her wake and throw off attacking dive bombers. I hope the fake profile on the aft flight deck doesn't cause too many recovery mishaps. :bm:
I hope to chip some of the paint of the braces underneath the new, primed 37mm gun tubs to create some interest. Not that anyone will pick GZ up and have a look-see. The ocean is harsh mistress.
I'm still dreaming up the green/blue shades for the North Atlantic camouflage scheme.

I did lots of painting today. Floquil Reefer white did it's usual good job, Dood. The airbrush is clean. Everything is totally Far-out! Maybe I'll even spend some more time on Ernst Udet's horrible Heinkel sometime soon.

Thanks for looking in!

At the time of this writing, Graf Zeppelin '46+ is in her 12th year of construction. Just a little slower than the actual vessel. I have all the airplanes, and almost all of the odd-ball parts to complete her. The Red Baron TF-104G in this scale should be a lot of fun!
Thanks for all your comments and encouragement!

A ship is Black. A ship is white. It turns by day and then by night.....................
No it doesn't!
IMG_E7808.JPG
A little more progress. The smokestack still needs her covered searchlights. Skywave to the rescue!!
Vielen dank am Ihrer aufsehen!!

20221120_165337.jpg20221120_164940.jpg20221120_165346.jpg
"Die Alte Frau" called my name today. I was airbrushing anyway. I not for sure how the camouflage will go, but doing something seemed better than continuing to do nothing. The flight deck will start sea blue and fade to lighter ocean hues as she goes aft. White deck stripes will aid Kriegsmarine airplane drivers in trapping aboard. I have something really cool (complex) in mind for the superstructure, such as it is. I hoped the additional gun galleries would house 128mm AA guns, but it looks like they are only big enough for 37mm guns.
20221120_165458.jpg
I shaded the new aft gun tubs to obliviate the shadows they might cast. Aircraft and surface attack is vhat vee is meistens concerned daruber.
Diesem Flugtragershiffstintenarbieten ist warum! Jawohl!
(I'm naughty, even in German.) :silly::Drinks:

Back