• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 1/720 DKM Graf Zeppelin 1946 Revisited

Today I spent a little better than 6 hours in the Nut Department. It was nice! Mostly I repaired or replaced metals bit I damaged on the DKM Graf Zeppelin. I've decided The GZ is punishing me for my inattention. :bang head:ph::poop:
I started on the Ho-229v3T planes as well. I bought these from an eBay seller before I found Shapeways.com for every dinky 3D printed airplane I could EVER wish for.
They looked rough, but seem like they will do. On their way to attack USAAC Consolidated Dominators, defended by P-67B Moonbat night-fighters, the Horton Nachtgespenzt jets will not use the catapults for take-off. Their wing span is too wide. They'll blast off down the deck and climb out with the wind on the nose, not so unlike other carrier airplanes of this era. "Ganze nacht aufbleiben" is their mantra. "Up ALL night." Wolfgang Falck's Navy outfit. Long endurance, Radar, I/R missiles and 30mm guns.
Woe to the Lancaster, Superfortress or Dominator crew that runs afoul of "The Happy Falcon's" steely-eyed, deadly night fliers!

Thanks for looking in!
IMG_E7068.JPG
IMG_E7069.JPG

During the most recent Surgeons Zoom meeting Nate Stevens and I were up late comparing ideas for our German Aircraft carrier projects. Nate is doing a parallel build of Revell's 1/720 Graf kit as well. His will be Richtofen or Doenitz, while mine remans Graf Zeppelin. He commented about augmenting the AA defenses for his build. Sooo..........
Gun tubs for just below the flightdeck level! I ordered the proper width of Evergreen strip for the edges of the tubs, because .010 styrene is such a pain to sand. I also redid the p/e on the all-weather crows nest/mast. Ever time I touch the model, something dinky breaks off. :ph:
Whaddyagonnado?!
IMG_E7145.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Then Teresa came home from packing up our Marion house with this gadget. Perhaps re-drilling a few of GZ's portholes will go much more quickly.
IMG_E7128.JPG

Finished basic 20mm gun tubs for GZ. I hope to install these on the hull, rather than under the flight deck edge to make adding the P/E braces and help painting go a little smoother. (IF I ever get to paint this never-ending Model!) The forward port-side tub may house two twin 37mm FlaK 43 mounts. That one goes low enough on the hull to keep the larger aircraft's wings from hitting the guns as the longer catapult hurls them into the delirious, burning blue.:pilot
THEN! as I imagined the practicalities of flight ops, I realized the odd contours of GZ's forward deck don't have a reason for the flutes & curves. More Filling, shaping and sanding. MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP! :bang head

I remember a simpler time when I would just gleefully slap models together to play with, without so much fuss. :hmm:
Spots of flat black, washed with turpentine on my advancing Tamiya Tiger I's and Panter A's while blue molded Monogram Dauntlesses and Helldivers peeled off in screaming dives to attack and (always) defeat the advancing Wehrmacht armored spearhead. 1/32 Sergeant Saunders with his tommy-gun. Jeb Stuart in his 1/35 motorized (unpainted) M-41 "Haunted Tank" Walker Bulldog pursuing the fleeing German troops. Colonel Savage, leading a pair of Revell 1/72 B-17F's over the Third Reich. I was 8! I only had 2 hands. That was LIVING!

Thanks for looking in!!
IMG_E7169.JPG

Finished basic 20mm gun tubs for GZ. I hope to install these on the hull, rather than under the flight deck edge to make adding the P/E braces and help painting go a little smoother. (IF I ever get to paint this never-ending Model!) The forward port-side tub may house two twin 37mm FlaK 43 mounts. That one goes low enough on the hull to keep the larger aircraft's wings from hitting the guns as the longer catapult hurls them into the delirious, burning blue.:pilot
THEN! as I imagined the practicalities of flight ops, I realized the odd contours of GZ's forward deck don't have a reason for the flutes & curves. More Filling, shaping and sanding. MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP! :bang head

I remember a simpler time when I would just gleefully slap models together to play with, without so much fuss. :hmm:
Spots of flat black, washed with turpentine on my advancing Tamiya Tiger I's and Panter A's while blue molded Monogram Dauntlesses and Helldivers peeled off in screaming dives to attack and (always) defeat the advancing Wehrmacht armored spearhead. 1/32 Sergeant Saunders with his tommy-gun. Jeb Stuart in his 1/35 motorized (unpainted) M-41 "Haunted Tank" Walker Bulldog pursuing the fleeing German troops. Colonel Savage, leading a pair of Revell 1/72 B-17F's over the Third Reich. I was 8! I only had 2 hands. That was LIVING!

Thanks for looking in!!

Oh yeah! I remember those epic battles from my youth as well! What awesome memories! Man, was that ever fun!

Everything looks amazing Rhino! I love following this Thread!

h02386cc.JPG

It was Plastic Surgeon Nathan Stevens that planted the idea of a licence-built Aichi B7A2 "Super Stuka" for Graf's Strikers. Mine will be a little smaller.

Focke-Wulf's and a few Heinkel See Banshees will make up Her fighter complement.

Thanks for looking in!
:notworthy
Way cool Chris

I appreciate your encouragement more than I can say here. Thanks Men!
It took me a while to get back to play (I cain't call building a model "Work") during the disaster-after-disaster that 2020 is so far. I owe a lot to my Teresa for all but leading me into the "Nut Department" and sitting me down to do so. Once she threatened to lock me in my office and only open the door to refill my Drinkie and bring a snack until I vacationed my addled Bwain. She's an Ely Girl. I am near sure she would have done exactly that! She is the best Sweetheart!

After 20mm gun tubs and forward flight deck mod's. I think the guntubs were added after a recent upgrade and my show sighs of the red german primer used on Panzers. I dunno yet.
IMG_E7180.JPG
IMG_E7181.JPG

DKM primer seems a close match to Wehrmacht primer. Why would Germany make more than one primer for heavy metal war making stuff? :bm:

Here the twin 37mm sponson ON the starboard bow of GZ! Finally! Now the wings of Oberstleutnant Falck's big, noisy Horton Nachtgespenzt jets will breeze comfortably over the gun mounts as the use the catapult to leave the Ship. :bang head
Ammunition storage and hoists from below should serve 3 (?!?) twin AA guns with typical German efficiency. I wanted to fill in the rest of the odd curves of the foredeck, but I fear if I dick around with this model very much more it might take 10 more years to finish Her. Having a silly goal is better than having no goal at all, don't you agree?

Thanks for looking in!
IMG_E7219.JPG

Back