• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 1/720 DKM Graf Zeppelin 1946 Revisited

Tom's Modelworks set #729 includes P/E parts for the old Revell Graf Zeppelin, but NO instructions. I tried my best after our disappointing Zoom club meeting tonight. I'm sure the extra fine etchings are close to "Scale" but this set is a gigantic pain in the ass to apply. I fault myself. I NEVER should have deviated from Loren Perry's very fine Gold Metal Models photo-etch ship details. Much more "Modeler-Friendly" thickness. I know better. What you see here is the bracing trusses for GZ's after flight deck. DO NOT BUY Tom's sets. Shooting yourself in the foot is much less trouble and less painful.
IMG_E6763.JPG

Yikes!! :facepalm: ...I totally feel the pain! So are you going to switch back to the Gold Metal Models set?
:hummm::hummm:

There isn't a GMM set for the Graf. I hope a whole lot of attention doesn't get focused on the underside of the after flight deck. My sweetie bought me an LED magifying lamp. I'm gonna see if my solder rig will free the piece that's on the wrong way from c/a glue and add some braces from my stock of bitty brass wire.
You can bet your sweet bippy all the rest of the railings will be GMM.

Thanks guys! I fired up the LED/Magnifying lamp my Sweetie got me and took a look at the p/e job. I don't like it but it seems inclined to stay where it is. SOOOooooo I worked on some airplanes. Yep. That's a dime. Observe, my friends, the Junkers JU-87C in 1/700 scale. Or don't because the clear plastic is nigh invisible! I will NOT be doing this 11 more times! Luckily, after 1945 GZ might have a Stuka for flight training, but not as a primary bomber. I know the Chi-coms laugh at me for attempting to assemble their tiny puzzle. Clear plastic for aircraft in this scale is impractical. Will I mask a teensie canopy? NOOO!
Will clear parts as big as the wing vanish without a "tink" or a "boink"? Yessir, they do!
On an unrelated note, Our Russian Giant Sunflowers have grown to full size and are blooming! OTLICHNO!
Next up! 1/700 Skywave airplanes!

Thanks for looking in!
IMG_E6788.JPG
IMG_E6783.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a little bench time tonight. My goal is to get the GZ's hull ready for paint. Bow railings by Gold Medal Models are MUCH easier to work with. The forward anchors are from Flyhawk (Back when I still bought Chineses stuff) and they run in 1 piece each, up the hawse pipe, around the capstans and down into the chain locker. Just like the real (?!) thing. The fantail will have a stern anchor on the deck, with dinkier open chocks and a twin FLaK 36 37mm mount inside the gun tub.
I
IMG_E6817.JPG
IMG_E6818.JPG

I continue to peck away at my 1946 1/720 DKM Graf Zeppelin CV. I am adding details on the ship to make Her jet-capable, without making Her into a 1980's aircraft carrier. (ME!?!) He-280-V3T's and "Nachtgespenst" Ho-229-NT jets will complement the FW-190D-10T and license built Aichi/Arado B7-A5T propeller aircraft.
She already has electro-magnetic catapults and upgraded radar and TDS comms. An LSO platform and rudimentary Fresnel light landing system are floating around in my addled mind. I may have gotten "carriered-away" again. MAYBE!!
I promise to post pictures as soon as I figure out what the Hall I want to do!

Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing this! I have plans to do a 1/700 scale Graf Zeppelin as a Soviet carrier with the backstory as follows:

Near the end of the war, Russia captured and loaded the Graf Zeppelin with treasures and towed her back to Russia. Talk was to use her as a torpedo practice target, but one Russian admiral spoke up saying that in the future Russia was going to need carriers since the US still has so many. So, they utilized some former German naval architects who'd designed this one; as well as some Japanese naval architects they 'convinced' to join them and started modifying the Zepp with an angle deck and a new Soviet style bridge and electronics. Her main air wing would be helos and Yak 36's while a flight of MiG 29's and Su-27's would be aboard for 'evaluation'

The only thing stopping me from doing this is the unability to find and pay for another Revell Graf Zeppelin and a Kiev or Minsk carrier.

Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing this! I have plans to do a 1/700 scale Graf Zeppelin as a Soviet carrier with the backstory as follows:

Near the end of the war, Russia captured and loaded the Graf Zeppelin with treasures and towed her back to Russia. Talk was to use her as a torpedo practice target, but one Russian admiral spoke up saying that in the future Russia was going to need carriers since the US still has so many. So, they utilized some former German naval architects who'd designed this one; as well as some Japanese naval architects they 'convinced' to join them and started modifying the Zepp with an angle deck and a new Soviet style bridge and electronics. Her main air wing would be helos and Yak 36's while a flight of MiG 29's and Su-27's would be aboard for 'evaluation'

The only thing stopping me from doing this is the unability to find and pay for another Revell Graf Zeppelin and a Kiev or Minsk carrier.
That's a cool idea! Navalized MiG-19's, Yak-28 strikers and Mi-4 Hound helicopters with dipping sonar and torpedoes maybe? "Ve vill see you in ze Souss China Zee. Yankee sons of dogs!" GO FOR IT!

Thanks Rhino! I don't know if I could find 1/700 scale MiG 19's or Yaks; much less Hounds, but that is something to consider....

I do not wish to be overly chatty, However, my Model-Mojo was flowing tonight! I built the LSO and Fresnel landing system platforms on GZ this evening. I also finished the open chocks and stern brass railings. I filled and sanded the aft-most arrestor line pivots an f-ing schmushed the flight deck bracing astern. BFA!
Whaddyagonnado?
IMG_E6999.JPG

Back