• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 1/720 DKM Graf Zeppelin 1946 Revisited

Rhino

Super Moderator
I began Her 10 years ago. While sorting out my Sweetie's work-from-home office, the old Revell Graf Zeppelin emerged from her storage bin.

In 1996, this was an exciting new tooling of Germany's most famous Aircraft Carrier, in not quite 1/700 scale. I had decided to do away with some of Graf's less Carrier-like features.

h08e4522.JPG

First, all these portholes have got to go! Plated over, sanded. A few left open for interest. The forward barbette mounted 128mm twin gun mounts are removed. They would be useless in the heavy seas of the North Atlantic. Additional hull plating and a healthy spray shield forward should keep the worst of Seas off the flight deck. Lengthened flight deck to accommodate more modern catapults. Gone are the clumsy, inefficient launching tracks and carts.

h725de5c.JPG

h81d7d6a.JPG

A start on GZ's modest island and main mast. New, weather-tight crows nest and less clunky supports for her radar antennas. My fair weather flying bridge cries out for more interesting details. Plenty of resin & photo-etched bits have been gathered to bring Revell's model to completion.

Thanks for looking in!

h36a80c2.JPG

I find using the lost black Sharpie trick I use when I shape a new Master for TLAR works on other people's ship models as well.
After superstructure closed up. The afterdeck hungers for some busyness I think. Stern anchor (AND MORE GUNS!!) hatches, equipment boxes and other naval what-have-you.
The Tom's Modelworks P/E set includes the bracing framework for the underside of the aft end of the flight deck.

Thanks for looking in!

h02386cc.JPG

It was Plastic Surgeon Nathan Stevens that planted the idea of a licence-built Aichi B7A2 "Super Stuka" for Graf's Strikers. Mine will be a little smaller.

Focke-Wulf's and a few Heinkel See Banshees will make up Her fighter complement.

Thanks for looking in!
:notworthy

ha0b4560.JPG

h13b4443.JPG

In an effort not to bore you all to death with every tiny detail................
Range finders & stack fixed to the Island structure. Filled & offset drilled after gun barbettes, with a blanking plate over the top inside to fill the empty space and to hold the turrets in place. (Yes, they traverse.) Launch & small boat hoists in place in the stowed position on both sides of the Ship.

Skywave 1/700 German Warship parts set will fill the bill for most of the ships boats, guns and searchlights.

There is a 5-piece crane in the Skywave set that I just could not resist. The crane platform will need enlarged, but that's a story for another post.

A Stuka scout float plane? JU-88T Torpedo bombers? :hmmm

Thanks for looking in!

ha0b4560.JPG

h13b4443.JPG

In an effort not to bore you all to death with every tiny detail................
Range finders & stack fixed to the Island structure. Filled & offset drilled after gun barbettes, with a blanking plate over the top inside to fill the empty space and to hold the turrets in place. (Yes, they traverse.) Launch & small boat hoists in place in the stowed position on both sides of the Ship.

Skywave 1/700 German Warship parts set will fill the bill for most of the ships boats, guns and searchlights.

There is a 5-piece crane in the Skywave set that I just could not resist. The crane platform will need enlarged, but that's a story for another post.

A Stuka scout float plane? JU-88T Torpedo bombers? :hmmm

Thanks for looking in!

Possibilities are endless.
Bachem Ba 349s setup on rails as rapid response AA fighters?

Following the sweetest of crazy-busy Christmas' and two tooth extractions, I went to the "Nut Department" for a while tonight! I put my Kriegsmarine Lieder on the blue-tooth speaker, and let slip the Dogs of Ship building!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvE31rr4eA
Here's a sample!
I will not deny "lubricating the Wheels of Creativity" this eve. :drinks
MUHHU HAHAHA HAha!

h452d553.JPG

The naked flying bridge gets a wheel & binnacle, Flag bag, Signal spotlights, a single 37mm gun to defend the Skipper in fair weather, a platform and AA Rangefinder are also among my additions.

h093fc7f.JPG

On the fantail, find an anchor capstan, hose reel and new, offset gun tub.
Now, the question foremost in MY mind is........ Which weapon would YOU mount on the stern of your fantasy Nazi Aircraft Carrier?

DKM Graf Zeppelin never sailed in harms way. This is 1946. Not unlike the "IN Another World" campaign, ANYTHING is possible!
She may even get a name change and F-104G Starfighters!
Choose. But choose wisely. I await your response.
:rotf :yipee :rotf :yipee :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

Well, if you are going that far forward to put F-104's on it, then a Sea Sparrow launcher would be an ideal system to put on that rear gun tub. Either that or some form of CIWS.

Everything is looking great so far!

After a long hiatus, I have returned to my work (play) space. My honey says she is NOT a guest and I can model anytime I want, I just clearly chose not to. The trial fitting of new gun tubs for the resin 10.5 cm twin guns and added a JBD to the port side catapult (To deflect Jet Blast of course!) since more than one sort of German jet aircraft may operate from GZ. I may have to sacrifice the forward most gun mount. We'll see how the the clearance for the starboard side propeller driven aircraft catapult looks later on. :hmm: I finished off the kit hull platforms with spray shields. I am near sure the hatches would open toward the inside, but I drilled a hatchway and added the external 1/700 German Navy open hatch p/e part nonetheless. :bang head
OH! and see the cool new drinking vessel, for "lubricating" the Wheels of Creativity? Teresa's daughter made it! :drunks:

IMG_E6751.JPG
IMG_E6755.JPG
IMG_E6756.JPG

Tuesday nights and rainy days are for models! :yipee:
Thanks for looking in!

Back