• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Resolved! My Photographs in a Book w/o Credit

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Imagine my surprise when I buy Wydawnictwo Militaria 303, Vol. LXX, on the Ba-64 and find my photos within the book and credit given to B. Loumanis!

Thirteen of the Seventy Five photos I had posted in Track-Link's image library appear in the book. No mention as to where the photos were taken from and the caption states the vehicle is at Aberdeen Proving Ground when, in fact, I photographed it at the Military Museum of Southern New England.

Things like this make me wonder why I share my collection freely.

I have written to the publisher and hope they will respond.

Regards,

Re: My Photographs Appearing in a Book w/o Credit

Well, I am sorry to hear it, but that is not at all surprising. In another totally different venue (firearms/hunting) I have made cyber-buds with a well known writer. Not too long ago he illustrated how a Certain Sportsman's Magazine, known for covering the OUTDOOR LIFE (a-hem...) not only ripped off his pics that were published in Field & Stream, they retitled his article and ran it....for two seasons!

Saul I guess these pictures are before you were putting your graffiti on the barrels, wheels and everywhere?

This really sucks but what can they do about it now? only future publications can give you credit right?

Saul I guess these pictures are before you were putting your graffiti on the barrels, wheels and everywhere?

This really sucks but what can they do about it now? only future publications can give you credit right?

They can notify the person who claimed the photos, ask for a refund if they paid that person, make a note on the website and in future publications.

Regards,

Let me get this right,

You went to the museum and took the photos posted them on track link and someone else copied them and sent to a publisher who then in turn placed them into a book credited by someone else

I know I repeated what you said basically but getting it sorted in my brain cells

Do you still have the original photos on an SD card or something ?

Yes, you got it sorted.

I have all 100+ high resolution photos of which only 75 were ever put online.

My hope is that they out this person as a thief. I don't want renumeration, simply proper credit.

Regards,

A thief indeed especially if theres a possiblilty that there was payment associated

I hope it gets sorted for you Saul, I really do

This would bake my cookies.

I spend a good deal of money on original WWII half track photos, ($45.00 for that one in my signature :eek:hmy: ) sometimes too much even and when I post them online I always watermark them. I have received the occasional complaint about the big intrusive text over the vehicles details but this is a prime example of why I do it.

If someone was just going to copy and paste it to a forum, or use it to build a kit, I'd have no issue but this right here is one of the reasons why I don't often share them.

Hope you get this sorted Saul.

Well, I don't blame the publisher.

Only two people are to blame. I (for not posting images with my copyright notice all over them since I thought no one would bother publishing photos only 900 pixels wide when they can simply contact me for the high resolution images), and B. Loumanis.

This person, B. Loumanis, knowingly sent images he did not take to Wydawnictwo Militaria to get paid.

I have informed the publisher that I am not seeking to get paid but to have it publicly stated that the book:

“includes photographs by Saul Garcia provided by B. Loumanis without permission.”

Any future reprints should have my name replace B. Loumanis.

I think this is fair to the publisher, who is also a victim of B. Loumanis.

Regards and pardon my rant,

He's a man the whole world should b-slap. Creative works are viewed by a wretched sliver of the populace as a treasure trove of free stuff to be exploited for their gain. It's cold comfort, but you're in excellent company, Saul! Your attitude is exemplary- cheers!

Read con man in Latvia :angry:

Im glad the publishers have responded though

Im glad the publishers have responded though

Well, the response was quite defensive and blamed it on purchasing the photographs from another publisher. I am very familiar with the other publisher and know that he did not have my photos nor did they appear in his book as those in his book is of a vehicle in the Czech Republic.

That is when I replied to assure Wydawnictwo Militaria that I am not seeking money but proper credit and to publicly discredit B. Loumanis as a photo source since he has no respect for others property. My aim is to guarantee that Loumanis won't profit from Wydawnictwo Militaria again.

Regards,

They got defensive and then lied and you responded by reassuring them?

LOL!

That's about the time I would have use words such as lawyer, copyright infringement and such.

:pp

They got defensive and then lied and you responded by reassuring them?

Yes, I did reassure them that I wasn't seeking money since I never have asked to be compensated other than a signed book for any of the photos I take. The fact someone else used my photos and took credit for them is what bothers me.

The book in question is a 5 Euro book so I am not that interested in spending time to recoup how much?

Had I bought the photos, like the 1000+ WWII Bulgarian Armed Forces collection I have, then I would seek legal help in recouping lost potential income since I bought the photos with plans to publish a book.

Regards,

Its just plain ignorant. I hope the publisher will do whats right and then out the jerk who stole the pics.
James

A medieval punishment is in place....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDd3Y3yTL54&feature=player_detailpage

:D

Greetings,Ron.

I hate that for you, Saul. Proper punishment is in order.

Back