• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Resin barrel help please

The Zod

How would I straighten this out? If it is possible.

barrel1_zps60142d92.jpg

Runit under hot water and then gently straighten it. As it cools it should take on the new shape. Maybe use a cutting board or something flat to lay it on and apply some weight until it cools straight.
James

PS or get a metal barrel :D

Runit under hot water and then gently straighten it. As it cools it should take on the new shape. Maybe use a cutting board or something flat to lay it on and apply some weight until it cools straight.
James

PS or get a metal barrel :D

Thanks James. It is 1/48. So no metal barrels for it. It is one of those 60 mm high velocity types designed by the Israelis and Italians.

You can try submerging it in hot water until it is soft enough to bend without breaking. Once straight immerse it in cold water to set it.

However, resin often has a "memory" and can return to its warped state over time. It might be easier to replace the barrel with metal or plastic.

Cheers,
Rich

You can try submerging it in hot water until it is soft enough to bend without breaking. Once straight immerse it in cold water to set it.

However, resin often has a "memory" and can return to its warped state over time. It might be easier to replace the barrel with metal or plastic.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks for the tip Rich.

Boil some water, then take it off the heat. Using tweezers dunk that beeyotch and let it get all wiggly. Then let it hang- the resin will return to the shape of the mold. You can dunk it in cool water to set it. Got this tip from Mr T himself, and it works!

The suggestions everyone has put forth are about the best. I would just say don't over heat it as it can do a melty even if it is resin. I learned that using some kind of a thermometer to measure the water temp if you are heating it on the stove is a good thing. 160 or 170 degrees F seemed to do best on small parts.

One other thing I noticed though in your pic was that it seems to have a good sized flat spot along the top. That might need a replacement to get that fixed. Just depends on how much fixing you want to do.

Back