• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Remember Pearl Harbor Completed Builds.

Hello everyone,

Here is my contribution for the campaign, part I.

Aichi D3A1 Type 99 "Val" from the 5th Koku Sentai aboard IJN Zuikaku. This aircraft was flown in the first attack wave against Wheeler Field by Akira Sakamoto and Yoshio Izuka.

Model: Cyberhobby 1/72 with PE from Eduard; Whiteensignmodel Enamel Brush-painted overall.

Base: PE Eduard from the elevator area of the IJN Akagi (poetic license here again)

In the last picture the Zuikaku "Squadron" begins to take shape, with the Val and the Zero flown by Lt. Masao Sato in the 2nd Strike Unit. Perhaps next I should build a Zuikaku Kate to complete the trio.

The Val is certainly not exactly what I expected, but again brought some good lessons with it.

Cheers everyone

Alex

hbb50374.JPG

hc6e2614.JPG

h153c744.JPG

h4b4fc06.JPG

haf7f879.JPG

h0957a81.JPG

Fine build Alex, I'll have a ribbon up soon. Paul did some great ones I just have to get them uploaded to the correct location on the server.

Git-R-Dun Bob. I wondered why there weren't any ribbons showing in the campaign header. Challenged ya there are a possibility of getting 3 different ones if you can do the three builds. :D

As slow as I am going on my Arizona I probly won't make it. The hull on that thing needs a lot of little stuff done to get it reasonably correct.

As slow as I am going on my Arizona I probly won't make it. The hull on that thing needs a lot of little stuff done to get it reasonably correct.

How someone can build a 1/200 model of a ship is beyond me! I salute you for that! :captain

Looking forward to your progress...
:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

Hey Alex, it's a lot like working on a bunch of small models then adding them together into a big whole. Except I am still stuck on the baseline which is the 2 hull parts. Handeling them is a lot like waving a couple of 3 ft lightweight planks around.

Last nite I worked on the rear part where the propellor shafts come out. More plank waving ensued.

:geek Yeah a lot like this.

Still, I cannot really imagine the amount of work and detailing required. How long do you reckon you will need to put the Arizona together?

Good luck...

Alex

Still, I cannot really imagine the amount of work and detailing required. How long do you reckon you will need to put the Arizona together?

Good luck...

Alex

I origionally thought it cold be done in a year. Now I am not so sure. It will depend on how long it takes to get all the work on the hull done. It's not smooth as a baby's behind which is how the kit is. There are plates and strips and seams and overlapping stuff galore. A lot of the plate stuff I think can be done with masking and spraying Mr Surfacer to get the big plate panel type areas. After all, an inch in this scale is .005" which is slightly thicker than nice bond paper.

Time wise might end up more aroud the 75th Anniv of Midway. I am still shooting for Dec 7 this year, but I would rather it be right than rushed.

Nice finish on the Val Alex ... excellent details & weathering ... better than I can do that's for sure ... :salute

Paul hang in there and stop being so picky .... :rotf ... You'll never get Her done ... but look at it this way after the hull all the other assy's are little stuff ... and We never sweat the small stuff ... (y)

Kind of how I am looking at it too Gerry. The stinkin hull is like 70% of the model with corresponding detail. :facepalm The hardest part is finding photos to use for reference AND figuring out if it is early, late or middle. The biggest change was the 2 tripod masts added and the side torpedo defense spacers on the hull which were done in the 1931 refit. The 5" guns were also moved up to the top deck at that time. The education process has been interesting to say the least.

OK Alex, I got the ribbons up. Thanks Paul for creating these.

This one is reserved for those who build the big A.

Arizona.png

Pearl1.png

or

Pearl2.png

for any other builds. Which one would you like Alex?

Actually, the rising sun ribbon is for Japanese subjects and the Arizona exploding is for the US subjects. So, when Alex finishes his Wildcat he will have earned both. :D

Still grinding away on the huge Az, but don't think it will get done in time. Anyway am enjoying the build greatly. Would rather have a model I am happy with than to rush it and hate it later.

Thanks for getting them set up Bob!

I will take both of them gladly, Bob. Thank you!

As Paul said, the Japanese is completed, the Wildcat in the early painting stages. Now I have my sight on the march madness campaign.. that is my scale! :geek

Cheers

Alex

Hello folks,

So this is my completed build for the second ribbon.

Airfix 1/72 F4F-3A Wildcat from the VF-6 aboard USS Enterprise on Dec. 7th, 1941. The 6-F-1 was flown by LT(jg) Francis F. "Fritz" Hebel, who perished due to friendly fire upon attempting to land at Wheeler Field.

Thanks for looking

Alex

h078dee5.JPG

he6feaeb.JPG

hd90f657.JPG

h125993d.JPG

h38ef703.JPG

h9173587.JPG

h2f5a451.JPG

hdcc72f9.JPG

h4151adf.JPG

ha6069f7.JPG

Alex, I think that is your best one yet!

You are definitely improving with each kit! Keep it up!

(y)

USN VS-6 SBD Dauntless Lt. Dickenson/RM1 Miller/i]

KIT: 1/48 Academy/Accurate Miniatures
PAINT: Testors MM
DECALS: Starfighter Decals "Pearl Harbor Defenders"
AM: Ultracast Resin Seats

6-S-4 was part of a 2 ship scouting flight w/ 6-S-9 in preparation for the Enterprise's docking in the following day. The 2-ship was jumped by a pair of Zeros near Barbar's Point. 6-S-9 was shot down almost immediately. RM1 Miller scored an unconfirmed kill on one of the Zeros before 6-S-4 was stricken. Lt Dickenson was able to bail out, return to shore, report to the base commander, and acquire another aircraft to rejoin the fight. RM1 Miller succumbed to injuries and went down with the aircraft.

DSCF2103.JPG

DSCF2105.JPG

DSCF2106.JPG

DSCF2107.JPG

DSCF2110.JPG

DSCF2111.JPG

Back