• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Question for you guys that build on the road.

nerdling

OK so my new job starts up in the beginning of June. I will be living away from home during the week. Well there won't be much for me to do so I was just trying to figure out how you guys that build away from home do it. Do you just pack up some supplies in a tackle box or what? Luckily I will be staying with a coworker that I've worked with before and they happen to be an artist anyways so they won't have an issue with me building.

I dont go on the road, but I have a tackle box made up with the basic tools I need and it is big enough to have some of the paints I will require too. Glues go in a seperate section with padding. When I used to go on short trips I just took a small Otter box with the basics. http://www.otterbox.com/drybox-sale/drybox-sale,default,sc.html

otr3-3000s-05.jpg

This looks kind of like my "model" box.

225378_ts.jpg

James

Thanks James. That was the type of thing I was wondering about. Will have to start putting something together this week (y)

I don't build on the road per se, but I do attend a local Hobby Day every second Saturday of the month. I bring with me a milk carton filled with the model or models I want to work on, including a tin or box that holds models that no longer fit into their respective boxes.

My tool box is this:

Hobby_Toolbox_I.JPG

Hobby_Toolbox_II.JPG

Hobby_Toolbox_III.JPG

I bring that and I have everything, including extras for other modelers who join me at Hobby Day. I got that for $65.00 at Sport Chalet and it is a wonder box. I love how it has room for all the tall bottles and containers that most other boxes don't have!

I take all this out once a month for the second Saturday (and the Friday before it) and really make some incredible progress each month because of it. The only thing I don't do is airbrush at Hobby Day. I'll paint with spraycans and hand brush, but otherwise, I leave the airbrushing for home.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the photos Duke. That was exactly what I was looking for. Wonder if the drawers are tall enough to store Vallejo paint.

I know Adam has built on the road and Chad of course stays on the road. Maybe they will chime in. I do good to keep things on the work bench!

Thanks for the photos Duke. That was exactly what I was looking for. Wonder if the drawers are tall enough to store Vallejo paint.

Yes, the top part is tall enough for Vallejos. The side compartment is also deep enough for all those really tall bottles that don't fit anywhere else. There's an additional side compartment below that one that can also hold some tall stuff. Right now though, I'm using it as a catch-all compartment for those extra things I seem to collect.

I am so sorry I did not see this thread earlier than today. :( I use plastic storage containers,usually Rubbermaid. This truck is part rolling hobby shop. Anymore,I air brush using the truck's air supply.

Thanks Chad. I am going to round up some stuff to do for this next week. I was beginning to go crazy last week. Although I did finish a 400 page novel in two days :rotf

It's not about building on the road per se, but this might help in case you come up against time constraints.

When my boys were small and the only hope of build time was short bursts with them in tow, playing with legos, sand or something, I'd bring the instructions, a sprue and some tools along to cut and clean parts. It really created a streamlined way of building I still do today, even if it's at the bench. I'll clean and prefit entire assemblies, then glue them all in one sitting later when I have a block of time. Sometimes I'll have an entire model as cleaned parts in a box before it even see's glue.

I call it the 'Road wheel/lego/roadwheel/lego method'. B)

Back