• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Putting rifling in a barrel

Tim A.

Attempting to add the rifling in the Sturmtigers mortor barrel. I started to scribe one but could tell right away that wasn't the way unless they are supposed to look like jaggledy lightning bolts. Anyone done this with success?

Thanks

Tim

I think aftermarket sets are the way to go either with interior rifling sets or a new barrel complete with the aforementioned rifling

Id say hire a very small person to go and chisel out the insides but that would be very silly so I wont :)

If you have your mind set on doing it yourself, try gluing strip styrene to represent the rifling, versus trying to remove product.

If your doing a 1/35 kit an would like the PE liner pm me with your email and I'll send you one. Otherwise I recommend the Voyager resin barrel.
James

Many moons ago I read of a bloke using foil. I cannot recall details or even where I read it (except on the net). Did he scribe diagonals in the foil - then make the cylinder - then glue inside barrel - then trim to size? It was something like that. I remember thinking at the time how clever but how bloody fidly. Sure it was 1/35 scale.
Apologies for half a story. Might google and see if I can help any further.

I've seen good results from wrapping grooved styrene sheet at an angle around an appropriately-sized rod, then fitting that in the barrel. I guess you'd have to drill the barrel to accommodate the new inner sleeve as well.

andyfettes wrote:
Id say hire a very small person to go and chisel out the insides but that would be very silly so I wont :)

I thought of that too seriously! geeze, I need to get a grip :gogo :lol:

Ken, I also was thinking along those lines but was afraid I'd loose control over it.

Delta, I wandered if I could fab a liner.

jknaus, thanks mate. I'll pm ya.

Thanks guys!

Tim

chukw wrote:
I've seen good results from wrapping grooved styrene sheet at an angle around an appropriately-sized rod, then fitting that in the barrel. I guess you'd have to drill the barrel to accommodate the new inner sleeve as well.

Hi chukw
Thanks, That could work except the material between the inner part of the barrel and the vent tubes that surround it is not much to work with.

Tim

Back