• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Printing small decals

The only problem you might have with automotive paints is the solvents might not be compatible with the styrene. I have one of the 1/8th Jag kits that was given to me partly assembled. Yeah it is huge and rather soft on details.

Yes i agree, thats my worry as i once melted a Tamiya motorcycle :) I think things have changed now with the green lobby and automotive paints are now water based but i will certainly check very carefullly.

Because of its size i wonder if i could use an automotive rattle can ? that might set a bit harder than the Tamiya paints and thus polish better, down side would be i would have to go for a plain gloss finish or have scale problems again with Metallic
I have used Duplicolor Automotive many times with good success. I don’t know what you have over there but auto paint is very tough. Give it a go!

Duplicolor was widely available here a few years ago in fact i would say it was No1 in the market .. I used to go for it as it was cellulose but i guess it fell foul of the Green thing and now its no longer imported to the Uk despite the fact its now acrylic. We do have a very prominent range of spray cans here but they don't do jag colours, i very much doubt that someone with a jag, let alone an E-type would attack it with a rattle can :)

I am experimenting with Tamiya TS sprays having followed a You tube guide on how to get them to work. They say the Gloss coat needs a week to harden before you attack the orange peel so hey, there is no rush :)

I think i have made my mind up about Paint for the Jag

This is Mica Blue TS-50. with a couple of clear coats. The secret with this stuff is it takes an hour to dry but a further week minimum to go hard and you cant even think about polishing a finish before that.
When it eventually goes hard it is pretty hard.

_DSC8552.JPG

If you've always wanted to spend time exploring the cosmetic section of your favourite shops, some car modellers swear by nail polish. The recommended thinning is 2-3 parts lacquer thinner to 1 part polish (you want the milk consistency) applied over white primer, grey primer can darken lighter colours. Depending on the look you want, some apply a silver base coat over the primer before the nail polish coat. It may take 2 to 3 light coats to achieve full coverage, followed by a clear coat. Some modellers will mix 3/4 polish with 1/4 clear top coat with the 2-3 parts thinner. One and a half to two bottles is usually required to complete an average 1/25 car body.

Cheers,
RichB

Back