• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pricing

paddy

I was looking at Gregs lovely little Ford GT40 yesterday and googled it to find they do it in 1/12 scale as well.
Trouble is its £435.00 or $525.00 USD in euro models in the UK...........
No surprise there but hang on...its £195 or $235.00 USD on ebay

this drew my attention to the Tamiya Porsche Carrera GT in 1/12. over £435 list in the shops but i found one new in a shop on ebay for £200.00
I occasionally buy these things while i am still working with a view to retirement in a couple of years when i doubt i will be able to afford them.
Admittedly at £200 its still a lot but it was in a disposal of stock from a shop closure and had 100% positive feedback so not too risky.

It does make me wonder what these things really cost to produce.

We have a weekly program on tv here following Hornby which owns Airfix and this week they were making the new 1/48 Buccaneer.
the guys went along to a museum with a Buccaneer outside and set up this small camera sized 3D scanner on a tripod. they scanned the aircraft from several positions taking about 10 mins each, went back too HQ and loaded it on to the computer nd there was a fully detailed 360 3D image of a Buccaneer complete with every line shape and dimension.
A days work. To show how accurate the process was they then scanned the director of airfix, put that in a 3D printer and out came a perfect replica of this guy about 1" tall. but his facial detail were 100% recognisable as the same guy. like a photo in plastic :)
I get that making a kit is more than just this but the process and accuracy as opposed to working in 2D from drawings is miles ahead.

That channel that has Hornby, is it streaming?

I've vowed not to spend that kind of money on a kit anymore, at least not one single kit. Kit plus aftermarket, maybe.

I wouldn't normally spend that kind of money but as i say if i buy now while i am still working it will help once i have retired.
Bear in mind my complete stash is less than 10 kits :)

Back