• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Photo Review Airfix 1:48 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I

ij001

ha2f2b76_2016-03-31.JPG

As I mentioned in my Campaign thread last night, the kit has only just arrived, so this is based on a first cursory look-over the sprues and read-through of the instructions. By way of a foreword, I have to clarify that I have no references whatsoever on the Defiant, so my comments, observations and impressions are just for the contents of the box.

First impression is of 'quality' the mouldings all have engraved panel lines and remind me very much of current Italeri kits. The plastic is quite soft and is reminiscent of Heller kits of the 1990's.

Instructions & Decals

h5aeefe8.JPG

h66f7597.JPG

h2f7db84.JPG

I do like the new format that Airfix have adopted for their instruction sheets, very clear and so easy to understand. Paint call-outs are equally clear and quote Humbrol paint codes - no surprise whatsoever. Full colour painting/decal guide is excellent, however Airfix insistence that the correct Humbrol colour for WWII Dark Green is H30, is simply incorrect, it should be H163.

Sprues
hd146d34.JPG

h2b0ef52.JPG

h52cb0a5.JPG

h36f1ec1.JPG

Interesting idea for giving the wings some strength is those 'box sections' you see in the first sprue pic'. They sit between the inner and outer halves giving rigidity to both sides, simple and smart engineering by Airfix.

If you look at the bottom right of second pic, you can make-out the (unmentioned) parts for the AI aerials so we'll be getting a night-fighter version sometime in the future, this is backed-up by the (again unmentioned) inclusion of an extra set of exhaust stubbs with 'Hurricane style' flame dampers in pic' 3.

The last sprue has the wings & tailplanes with separate rudder, elevators and ailerons, unfortunately there's no option for dropped flaps, but you can bet your back-side that the AM industries are already tooling up for etch and/or resin detailing sets so we can 'individualise' our projects.

All the parts are included to raise and/or lower the streamline sections between the turret and cockpit and aft of the turret, so again we have the opportunity to further 'individualise' our models. Also one-piece closed main gear doors are included if you choose to build your Defiant 'in-flight'.

Tranparencies
h48129d0.JPG

Finally, the transparencies have options for one-piece fully closed pilots cabin or two-piece slid-back. As for the turret, Airfix have provided the builder with two versions, closed and opened, the latter with poseable or removed rear access doors.

Conclusion
Again I ask that you keep in-mind that I'm basing this just on the contents of the box without referring to any published references.

I stick by my first impression - this is another quality kit from 'Airfix 2.0', excellent detail, lots of options, superb instructions all presented superbly and sold to us a very reasonable price - would anyone like to hazard a guess at how much Hasegawa would retail 'their version' of a 1:48 BP Defiant, at, :hmmm . I'm very happy with this kit and really looking forward to jumping in to the build, but will hold-off for a while in-case one of the after-market outfits release a resin survival-pack with under-wing pylons for my ASR Defiant.

If you want a WWII 1:48 project just a little distance away from the mainstream, then go get y'self an Airfix Defiant, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Ian.

Back