• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Panzer IV w/105mm howitzer?

The Zod

I got to thinking. No,smoke did not pour out of my ears,nor did my head start hurting.:blink :pp Would a panzer IV with a 105mm howitzer be realistic? Unless my builds are total sci fi,I like to build a believable hypothetical vehicle.

Dragon makes one too http://store.spruebrothers.com/135-dragon-pzsflivb-fur-105cm-lefh181-sf-ausf-a--smart-kit--6475-p15748.aspx I was going to build it for the Have Gun GB, but decided to go another direction.

Neither of those is a Pz IV. The similarities are there but the wheel dimensions, numbers per side, and bogies are different.

While the gun in these images is a 76mm ZiS-3 on a Bulgarian PzKpw IV turret, swap the ZiS for the German 105mm and you are there!

afp123021962002113038_big.jpg

111copyln6.jpg

22638938iy5.jpg

1284076.jpg

and the German 10.5cm le FH 18M (on the right)

813061981_40ba79eebb.jpg

Close enough in size and orientation to work!

Regards,

Neither of those is a Pz IV. The similarities are there but the wheel dimensions, numbers per side, and bogies are different.

Granted I know next to nothing about German Armor but the name if the kit is, "German Panzer IV Typ b 105mm Self-propelled Howitzer"

10069265t2.jpg

Isn't that a Pz IV hull?

What PzIV are you talking about Saul? Please don't tell me Pz and Panzer is two different things.

Panzerkampfwagen IV Typ B is the the PzKpfw IV you are thinking of. It is a shortened chassis with larger roadwheels, heavier bogies, six (instead of eight) roadwheels per side. Look at the engine deck, the lack of a radio/MG gunner hatch, and numerous other details.

Regards,

I've just been reading about the Geschützwagen IV. Look at me, i'm learning about German Armor.
Check this out Chad, http://www.achtungpanzer.com/wafft.htm#sd165

I see what you're saying Saul. chop up a PzIV hull and it's not a PzIV hull anymore.

MP, I am too. I would have bet a lot of money those two in the first picture were StuG IVs. Even at my age, I learn something new every day! Thanks Saul!(y) (y)

BTW, what was the German designation of those chassis?

Bob

so the Typ X is the designator we look for on these variant hulls in German armor?
Like the M2A1 M2A2 ect..designator on USA nomiculture?

In this case it is. All vehicles have a proper designator Sd.Kfz. even if they are a PzKpfw.

Regards,

I've just been reading about the Geschützwagen IV. Look at me, i'm learning about German Armor.
Check this out Chad, http://www.achtungpanzer.com/wafft.htm#sd165

I see what you're saying Saul. chop up a PzIV hull and it's not a PzIV hull anymore.

Rock-On MOONIE !!! We'll get ya' building German Armor exclusively in no time !!

Thanks for the u info dudes. I guess the PZ IV turret isn't high enough to put in a 105,and still be enclosed.

Re: Panzer IV w/mm howitzer?

Chad,

It is YOUR model to build as you wish. Why not put a StuH barrel/mantlet on it?
stuh1.jpg

The Tamiya StuG III kits come with both the 75mm StuK (as used in the StuG) and the 10.5mm barrel and mantlet, as seen above but with a muzzle break.

The 10.5cm le FH gun is a howitzer so a high angle of fire is a requirement. The StuH didn't have that requirement.

Regards,

Chad,

It is YOUR model to build as you wish. Why not put a StuH barrel/mantlet on it?
stuh1.jpg

The Tamiya StuG III kits come with both the 75mm StuK (as used in the StuG) and the 10.5mm barrel and mantlet, as seen above but with a muzzle break.

The 10.5cm le FH gun is a howitzer so a high angle of fire is a requirement. The StuH didn't have that requirement.

Regards,

Tanks Saul.
The StuH matlet would look good on it.(y)

No problem. I never did ask the scale of your project. If 1/48th, the Tamiya StuG III kit includes both mantlets.

German Sturmgeschutz III Ausf.G Early Version, Item No:32540 

2cuts.gif

Both barrels are in the kit but they share a common mantlet. So, make your own! It is a box after all.

Regards,

No problem. I never did ask the scale of your project. If 1/48th, the Tamiya StuG III kit includes both mantlets.

German Sturmgeschutz III Ausf.G Early Version, Item No:32540 

2cuts.gif

Both barrels are in the kit but they share a common mantlet. So, make your own! It is a box after all.

Regards,

I am going with 1/35 on it. I have to take a break from 1/48 for a bit. i am using the gun mantlet on an Italeri IV for my VK 3001 upgunned project. That means I had to do something with that old Italeri f1/F2/G kit.

Back