• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pandur or Pandour

jknaus

Administrator
Does anyone here know anything about Austrian Pandurs? I have one book on Austrian Frontier Troops 1740–98 from Men at arms but need some more refs on uniforms. Would anyone interested in that era be able to recommend a web site or a book? Thanks in advance for any help.
James

the panduren have been a wild bunch of soldateska! they were infamous for atrocities and thus feared by the enemies!

over the years the panduren became that wild that they weren't taken prisoner anymore but hanged instantly! they showed no mercy, they received no mercy!

they became that uncontrollable and wild that after some time they were dissolved and forbidden in the homeland of pandurtroups, in austria!

here are some homepages showing sketches of their some kind of hussars uniforms:

http://www.kuk-wehrmacht.de/regiment/grenzer/panduren.html (german language - sorry)

here's a link to freiherr von der trenck, an infamous commander of the panduren, showing a good painting of him in his uniform:

http://www.kuk-wehrmacht.de/biograph/f0017trenck.html

some re-enactment photos:

panduren in waldmünchen

panduren in spiegelau

oberst trenck

pandur on horse

panduren

Hiya James.

I am most certain that their weapons and tactics have changed over the years, but the uniform has stayed pretty much constant since thier inception.

pandas-need-guns1_20100402_1114424299.jpg

And on an unrelated note, I found these little uniforms under the heading of "eco-panda" ? Not really sure what it is all about, but I am alllllll for it. :woohoo:

eco-panda_20100402_2025576212.jpg

(y) :notworthy (y) :notworthy (y) :notworthy (y) :notworthy (y) :notworthy (y) :notworthy (y) :notworthy

Gary B)

:unsure: Garry , I am sure you are just Pandering to your own needs .

The only thing they have in common with Pandas is their Bear behind . :laugh:

Crickets chirping :huh:

Jenny :kiss:

Thanks Laura. Some more leads to track down. I know Trenk was the worst sort of fellow, but did not realize the whole group were disbanded. I won a 90mm Austrian Pandour Officer and wanted to get as much info as possible before painting. After that it will be a Landsknecht soldier. Appreciate the links.
James

Thanks Gary. But I think we lost something in the translation. I'm doing the European branch. Now that I know about the Asiatic branch of the Regiment I guess I will have to look for those figures also. Any leads on armed Panda figures?

As for the Eco Pandas I have shown my wife and informed her I would have to mount a search for them as they sound like a terrorist organization. She has not taken kindly to this.
James

Back