• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Painting with Giovanni: fleshtones"

Re:Painting with Giovanni

Hi Bob,

Yes, the painting seession was just one, it takes me a couple of hourse, more or less, for the face, depends how big or detailed is the face.

Giv it a try when you have time, I'll be following with interest.

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni,

I have been watching and I want to try my own figure as soon as I can. I may have questions when I start. Great work!!!

Terry B)

Hi terry,

Will be lovely if you join us, just post it and I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni,
Thanks for this great SBS. I have Danilo's book but always had trouble getting the paint to mix as per the photo's. Thanks for your explanation it make it clearer. :lol:

Ken,
I always use a No 5 optivisor :blink when painting and it makes seeing the face a lot easier. If it looks good under the visor it will look good under normal looking.

Sorry Giovanni I do not mean to hijack your thread. :unsure:
Cheers
John

Hi John,

Glad to see you here and don't be sorry, your contributio and everybody contribution is really appreciated.

Will you partecipate in this thread and post your work?

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni,
I have a post under figures called "Blackbeard". Would someday like to meet you.
PS how about MMSI Chicago in October?
Cheers
John

Well that didnt turn out well. Will have to stripo paint and start over. Pallet was a bit closer to pic. I think I have a better idea now.
James

Okay, my old pallet
pallete_20100730_1586397362.png

and the face.

face_20100730_1117709771.png

James

Giovanni,

I think this is a great idea! As you go along, you will pick up more participants and help a lot of modelers improve their figures!

Great job, my Friend!

Bob

Yeah, I don't think all the painting in the world will help my figure. Doc tells me to push away from the table and get to exercising but I tell him I'm hungry and it's too hot.

But I can't wait to try this technique. And this takes nothing away from what I learned from Laura's class, I think it only adds to it, another technique to get to the same place.

jknaus wrote:
Okay, my old pallet
pallete_20100730_1586397362.png

and the face.

face_20100730_1117709771.png

James

Dear James,

Thanks so much for your post and apologise for my late reply but I'm on holiday and has been difficult to find an internet connection.

Enough of my talking, your palette looks just fine, you have enough tones to paint.

The face however, I can't really tell, the picture is out of focus, unfortunately.

Can you take a close up picturw, maybe leaving e camera on a tripod?

I'll be following with much interest your work.

Ciao

Giovanni

@ John,

I've been lloking at your blackbeard and is great, really unique painting style, I really like it.

I wish I could came to Chicago this October, but I need to pass, workload is crazy in that period.

I really wish I could organise something next year, so we will be able to meet up in person.

Ciao

Giovanni

@ Bob Lettermann

Ciao Bob,

I'm happy you find this post interesting, and I really hope more people will partecipate and contribute to this thread so we can all learn something.

Looking forward to meet you in person sooner than leter.

Ciao

Giovanni

@Moon puppy

Bob, I totally agree with you, what I'm showing here is just another way to paint, I feel comfortable with and that can be " replicated" easily.

I honestly think each one has to follow is own style and own taste, there is no right way of painting.

I would really love to see one of your figure here.

Ciao and thanks for your help.

Giovanni

"G" the only figure I have ever done are the two Laura and I did. I have not tackled another since then. I'll surely post my next one here for yours and everyone's guidance and suggestions.

I'm loving this thread though!

moon puppy wrote:
"G" the only figure I have ever done are the two Laura and I did. I have not tackled another since then. I'll surely post my next one here for yours and everyone's guidance and suggestions.

I'm loving this thread though!

Bob, that's brilliant, can't wait!!!!

Ciao

Giovanni

Okay I will try and take pic again. I have also got the base coat of red and green on the uniform. I'll wait for your lead before painting that. Any thoughts on gold and old gold paint for the braid?
James

The face (I dont like it)
face2_20100801_1312224674.png

And the body before oils

body_20100801_2027438449.png

Critique away :laugh:
James

James,

Face is not bad at all, maybe we can add a bit of contrast.

If I may, I'll suggest to enhance the shadows on the lower eyelid, with a mid tone shadow from your palette.

Also, place a mid shadow/reddish hue tone starting from just under the cheekbone spreading down to 3/4 of the face( just above the jaw), leaving, of course the upper part darker.

I can't wait to see the progress.

Last thing, being on holiday, and then around for work, won't be able to post the how to of the rest of the figure until the 20 something of July, and James, the fabrics will be done in acrylics, not oils.

Ciao

Giovanni

Well I think the red is done. Tried some new stuff. Thinned the oil and tried a tiny brush, then dabbed in the pigment. Used cad orange to mix for highlitr and cad blue to mix for shadow. It looks okay to me. Hopefully its okay.

body_red_20100808_1430641610.png

Oh and have a good vacation.

James

Okay green is done. Looks way better for real than in camera. I am happy with the shadows and hi lights. If you could give me a thought on a colour mixture for the braid I would love that.

body1_20100812_1904579150.png

body2_20100812_2027931700.png

body3_20100812_1326184127.png

Critique away :laugh:

James

Hello Giovanni,

I know it's a little late in the series but I'm very interested in learning this as I'm new to modeling armor and figures.

I just ordered some figures from Bravo*6, so as soon as I get them I'll be in here.

Howard

Back