• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

paint to thinner ratio's

stew59

HI EVERYONE
I KNOW THIS IS PROBERBLY A VERY DAFT QUESTION.
WHEN AN ARTICLE SAYS 70/30 FOR SPRAYING IS THE FIRST
NUMBER THE PAINT OR THE THINNER

APOLOGIES FOR SOUNDING LIKE A NUMPTY

CHEERS

STEW

Which article? Not a daft question to me because if they don't say it who knows what they are talking about.

On the larger picture of thinner/paint ratio, I never really rely on a ratio, I mix my paint where it has a consistency of milk. But then, it depends on what type of paint and what you intend to paint. Lots of variables.

BTW, welcome aboard Stew.

Stew,

70 would be the thinner, 30 would be the paint.

When I spray Vallejo Model Color, I usually fill the airbrush color cup about half way with thinner and add 4 or 5 drops of paint. Probably not the exact ratio described above but the thinner is usually the larger number.

HTH

Stew get onto the introductions thread and say hello to everyone

I spray Tamiya paints and usually do mine a 3:1 ration for light applications,.. 1 being the paint or to be techincally correct the paint being 1 dollop to 3 splashes on thinner :D

Found this on the TESTORS-site:

AIRBRUSH THINNING RATIOS:
In general when spraying paints through Aztek airbrushes, the paint should be the consistency of whole milk or thinner.
Never add thinner to the paint jar. If the paint is over thinned, the paint cannot be thickened.
Do not to over thin flat Enamels, as they can turn to a gloss if over thinned
Fine detail airbrushing requires practice and varies greatly with the equipment and air pressure being used. Experiment on scrap material before you begin painting an actual project.
NOTE: the numbers listed below are only a guide and may vary from color to color.
MODEL MASTER TESTOR ENAMEL PAINT:

Gloss; 3 parts paint to 2 parts thinner.
Flat; 3 parts paint to 1 part thinner,
Air pressure setting should be around 20-25 PSI.
Enamels require 48 hours for a full cure.
Thinner: - all Enamel solvents
MODEL MASTER TESTOR ACRYLIC:
Most Model Master and Testor "Acrylic" paints are pre-thinned for airbrushing. Thin paint by adding thinner drop by drop, until your consistency has been achieved.
Air pressure should be approximately 18-20 PSI.
Acrylics will dry to the touch in minutes; they require 24 hours for a full cure.
Thinner: - all Acryl thinners
Metalizer
Model Master Metalizer is pre-thinned for spraying and will not need thinning.
Air presser should be around 18-20 psi
Metalizer will dry to the touch in minutes; they require 24 hours for a full cure
Thinner: - 1419 Metalizer thinner

Greetings,Ron.

I'm only responding to this because I like the words "daft" and "numpty".

I've always mixed my paints by feel more than anything else. If I tried to follow a formula it always seemed
too thin, too thick, never quite right. I suggest you mess around with them til it works for you.

Welcome Stew!!
Tom

I us mainly Humbrol or Testers and I thin them to 2/3 or 3/4 reducer to paint. Not sure what pressure I run, I'm still using the same
air compressure and air brush since I was 12. :hmmm

The way I tell if it the mix is right, I turn the jar to the side and if I have a tint more than a solid color I'm good to go.

TomN

you are a wise man. A certain viscosity feel, rather than a standard ratio is the way to prepare your paints for spraying.

The rule of thumb for preparing paints (or other materials) for airbrushing is to reduce them to the approximate visual viscosity of 2% milk. As starting paint viscosities often vary from color to color, even within a specific paint brand, it is best to avoid fixed thinning ratios. It is also best to vigorously mix/stir paint rather than shaking it before use because mixing/stirring paint better blends pigment and base creating a more consistent paint from the top to the bottom of the bottle, and causes pigment to re-settle slower. Various paint types and materials, including acrylics, lacquers, enamels, urethanes, inks, can be applied with an airbrush if properly reduced for spraying.

I am quite a novice myself when it comes to airbrushing (any brushing really) But I will make one further comment and that is to get yourself a piece of wing or something (Piece of cardboard) that you can practise with. I find that I have to thin out my paint more with my Gravity feed than in my suction feed, propably because the head is smaller.

The best advice I can give is Practise and practise some more.

Back