• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-47D-11 Flying Finn II * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

Mentioned in my Farmingdale thread that I've started a couple of Tamiya Razorback builds. So here's the first pics of Maj. WH Juntilla's'Flying Finn'of the 352FS, 353FG (black/yellow checker cowling and invasion stripes on an OD/Neutral Grey machine - but.... a D-11, you know this is going to faded, patchy and thoroughly filthy).

The completed cockpit shots were taken on my phone as an experiment.... Not too bad, but not a substitute for a 'real camera !! - so to start, the cockpit painted and weathered, ready to go into the fuselage:

And now with the IP & gunsight:

Stay with it, more in a minute....

Ian

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

Now the aforementioned phone pics:

(Even) more soon. Hang-on :gogo

Ian

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

And here is how it looks at the moment. Primed in Tamiya acrylic 'sky grey' and awaiting its' pre-sahding.

As ever, happy to take every comment, question and criticism. Thanks for looking.

Ian

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

Hmmm...I'm still debating having flaps dropped or not on mine. Looks great Ian. Can't wait to see that faded OD. :popcorn

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

Pre-shading done:

Used all Tamiya acrylics - Red Brown, Black, Khaki Drab, Panzer Grey and white into the centres of most panels in varying depths of cover. Next I'll mask the area for the invasion stripes. More next week.

Ian

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

Which decals are you using? Some don't include the spirals for the covered main wheel hubs.

Regards,

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

Which decals are you using? Some don't include the spirals for the covered main wheel hubs.

Regards,

I have an old Aeromaster sheet (can't remember the number). I've only got their instructions to go-on. Not heard of spiral pattern on the wheel hubs.... have you got a photo you can post ??

Ian

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

I hope these help:

img086.jpg

img085.jpg

"doll" also appears on the starboard side, save the image and view at full size.

Regards,

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

Thanks for those.... I checked on www.littlefriends.co.uk and couldn't find a photo of any P-47s wearing the same spiral. Not certain how I could reproduce the design. I'll double check the construction number to see if it's the same airframe and decide from there....

Ian

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

42-8414 is a P-47D-5-RE.

Lt. Juntilla also flew Aircraft 42-75608, P-47D-11-RE, named “The Flying Finn II” & “Ginny.” Since you didn't state it as The Flying Finn II, I thought you meant his original T-bolt mount. I remember an Eagle Strike sheet, Early Slybirds of the 353rd FG with the D-Day stripes. This one has Ginny on the port side within the yellow/black diagonal checkerboard nose. I do not recall seeing spirals on this one.

Regards,

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

Great info, Sharkmouth. Checked the decal sheet again... It is Flying Finn II (I did mention that according to the sheet the aircraft is a D-11). So that explains everything (sort of) :gogo

Managed to get the white for the invasion stripes sprayed Saturday afternoon, will post some pics very soon.

Ian

P-47D-11 'Flying Finn'

As mentioned the white for the invasion stripes has been added now.

Looking good for tomorrow and Friday, when I'm hoping to get the first grey tones onto the underside.

Ian

Back