• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-26 Peashooter.

dollar19

I've about got this little bird in the showcase.
Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

I guess it's safe to go back in the basement again...Looking good Greg, reminds me I have a Buffalo roaming around somewhere that's about ready for some paint.

Great classic plane - and it's coming along well. How were the decals to deal with. Sometime the big ones can be difficult, especially if they are old.

To answer your question about the decals, I've not have any problems with then as of yet.

The scallops on the tail plane gave me a fit staying in position as they would slide around, and I'd have to re-position them. This was mainly due to me getting them too wet, and gravity doing it's thing. After I got the in place and propped the model at an angle where they would not move all went well.

Here's a few pics of the last round of decals. The white flashes on the headrest are still wet so they will look a little funny. There is a heavy coat of CHAMPS on them so they will dry-out and look fine.

IMG_1861_2.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1866_2.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

All comment and abuse welcome! :woohoo:

Damn fine job! what will you do with the leading edge where the decals don't wrap around? I always have a hard time matching up the paint color with the decal in those cases.

Well Moon ..... I had thought about using a paint pen and a very steady hand to paint in the area around the leading edge. The decal is gloss black so I'd use a gloss black pen, and after a coat of Future I hope it will blend together.

Tom..... The kit has pretty much fallen together. Not a shake and bake, but no real problem areas either. The one and only down side for me was a couple of broken pieces, the rudder pedals support is very fragile and broke as I cut it from the sprue, and the center 'mast' that supports the outer wing guy wires. Same problem there, extremely fine piece of brittle styrene. I would have replaced it with wire or something stiffer anyway.

Now if you have old eyes like I do, you will find reading the number tags on the sprues challenging! But we all know the fix for that..... don't get old!

Last pic for today

IMG_1870.jpg

That's good to hear, the boxing I have has the yellow wings and blue fuselage....excellant job on this beauty!

Tom

Here some pics of what I've got after a week of battling some very stubborn decals. I still have a lot of clean up to do, but it's starting to show some promise.

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1881_2.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

The color is great, the black and white swoops are nicely done. Just to know - are they decals? To control delicate long decals like that takes lots of patience and a steady hand.

OH yeah, they are decals, some were really good, and some were really a bear to work with. Especially the ones on the cowl and wheel spats.

Oh how I wish I had patience and steady hands.....Thank you for the very kind reply.

What a nice looking little bird: is it a combat plane? I mean, I know it's Army material, but I can't seem to find any armament on it...
emoticon_confused.gif

I can only imagine what you went through to get some of those decals on their rightful place: as slodder remarked, "... To control delicate long decals like that takes lots of patience and a steady hand.".
emoticon_nod.gif

In all, congrats on your build, dollar19, and let us have more of it!

Cheers! :)
Fernao

Thank you very much. A little further down is the completed thread. It did have two .30 cal MGs in the cockpit that fired thru the cowl ring, and on occasion a single .50 cal. mounted on the starboard wing.

The A12 Shrike, a close cousin to the peashooter had .30 cals mounted in the landing gear struts. These were cutting edge fighters at one time, a very short time but a time for sure.

Great looking build Greg!

moon puppy wrote:
"The A12 Shrike, a close cousin to the peashooter had .30 cals mounted in the landing gear struts. These were cutting edge fighters at one time, a very short time but a time for sure. ..."
I guess that what I was really wondering is if these birds ever saw combat - I imagine these type of aircraft flying in the mid '20s and the 30s, so they probably wouldn't have seen much action during WW II...
emoticon_confused.gif

Cheers and thanks for your replies, moon and dollar19.
Emoticon_okay.gif

Fernao

Back