• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

One Gun Done by the Duke

Duke Maddog

Hey all, as mentioned in my Maddog Manufacturing thread my Russian Army took deliver of this Self Propelled Artillery piece:

Here is the 2S35 "Koalitziya". It is the 1/72 scale Zvezda kit:

full

full

full

Look how high this puppy elevates!

full

This is one of six models I finished today. The other five can be seen in the Aircraft and Ships Forums

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

I wonder when a tank becomes a self propelled artillery piece ? I always though it was the addition of a traversing turret but obviously not ?

Very nice Duke,that's some dangerous looking beast.

Paddy,it might simply have to do with how it's used or designated.I just finished up my Paladin it also has a rotating turret.They obviously don't have the speed,maneuverability,and protection to engage in tank to tank combat.They may look like big tanks,but they are not build for that role

I wonder when a tank becomes a self propelled artillery piece ? I always though it was the addition of a traversing turret but obviously not ?

Paddy, Tony hit it spot on. These guns are too big to engage in tank vs tank combat because their turret is slower in traverse and they don't have the sophisticated aiming system for direct fire as is found on tanks. The gun itself is meant for larger shells that don't have a flat trajectory like the HEAT and SABOT rounds of a tank. They are designed to put the hurt down range while being far away from the FEBA. However, if enemy tanks do break through before they can scoot; I'm sure the crews would be firing those big guns directly at the enemy in hopes of hitting one!:blink

Tony, thanks! That long gun sure does make it look dangerous!

Thank you Frank! I think this completes every Russian self propelled gun offered by small scale companies now.

That's a good sized gun on that beast. I was in field artillery for around 6 years and spent alot of time with the M109. It's amazing how a gun can lob a shell 25+ miles with a good degree of accuracy. Especially if you've got a good FDC.

Good looking tracked vehicle Mark!!

Thank you Ian! Yes, it feels great to complete a series.

Thank you Joe! I love hearing stories from people who've experienced things related to the models I build. Thank you again for the compliment!

Back