• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Oh, for Heaven's Sake (or She is the Queen of my Double-Wide)

Barney

May God have Mercy on my Soul.

We have just bought a travel trailer and a Nissan Armada to tow it. (Pictures to follow)

I was hoping for a nice quiet retirement. Now, we are going to take "trips" to places she has never been (not I for that matter). We are going to have "adventures." I have had plenty of adventure (5 deployments) but I agreed to this, so...

Any suggestions for a 1st trip? (from Cleveland Ohio in mid April) I will take the top 10, make a poll and let everyone vote. We'd like suggestions for some 2-3 days drive from our home. (Sorry @paddy and @SA Dave no overseas trips (at this time)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cindy and I are doing the Gettysburg thing in April if we can get the dog sitting situation sorted.
Barney I knew a fill bird Col retired from the Marines who went full time with his wife, really nice class A and they just roamed the country hitting military bases staying there. They had a post office box back at their old home but no property anywhere.

Gotta go to Dayton to the museum right?

Cindy and I are doing the Gettysburg thing in April if we can get the dog sitting situation sorted.
Barney I knew a fill bird Col retired from the Marines who went full time with his wife, really nice class A and they just roamed the country hitting military bases staying there. They had a post office box back at their old home but no property anywhere.

Gotta go to Dayton to the museum right?
When you go to Gettysburg, I would suggest the first stop being the "Model of the Gettysburg battlefield". Yeah it's a model, but that is NOT the reason.
I had a limited time I was able to spend there in 2019 and tried for the best I could do. My dad was a civil war buff and understood all about the battles and such, but I always had difficulty figuring out what was going on.
Gettysburg battlefield model-01.jpg

I am not sure of the exact size of this giant diorama, but at a guess it is 30ft by about 15ft. While impressive, it still doesn't give a real idea of what it is showing, UNTIL the lights go out!

There is a 20-30 minute video with lighting on the model that goes through the entire battle step by step and day by day showing photos of those that were part of the battle and with lighting showing where on the battlefield the action was taking place. I was the only one there early on a Monday morning. They want you to sit on the bleachers (to the right in the photo) but after just a few seconds I said phooey on that and stood at the railing on the right side. I would shift a little to the north and south depending on the action that was taking place. Everything was explained beautifully and pointed out on the model.
Best $8.50 I spent on the whole trip. When I left and drove through the battlefield, I easily understood what I was looking at and what took place there.
Being the only person there I was easily able to break the "rules" and not sit on the bleachers. The room is very dark except for the lighting on the battlefield model. There are steps at the north and south ends and they have had people trip on those and get hurt, thus the bleachers. Being by myself it wasn't an issue. Enjoy!

I would make a list of what she likes and would like to do and a list for you. Then pick one or two items from both lists. Get a map and draw a circle with your comfortable distance to travel. Then from your lists see if there is anything in the circle that matches up with the desired to do items. Then make a trace of your path based on those items. Then draw a circle with the next days max distance and then again check for the interests. You'll get a feel for how long and how far to go based on those and can adjust the travel time accordingly. Then carefully crumple up the plan and toss it when you start out because no plan survives first contact. Seriously though I would make the lists and then look at the map and see where both list match up. Either that or one day is hers and one day is yours.There is so much to see down in the States or up in Canada. As a Canadian I would recommend going up to Canada Its 4.5 hours to Toronto and there are some awesome museums there including Castle Loma. Canadas Wonderland is just outside the limits and has some wild ridesBorden with its tank park is just a couple of hours north. Then over to Trenton for the airforce museum and the canals. Then to Niagara falls for the falls and the military fortss and other museums. Then Ottawa for more museums and canals and scenery. and loop back. Just my 2 cents.

Baseball games,Cleveland,Pittsburgh,and Cincinnati,all great parks to enjoy a game,
Football Hall of Fame in Canton
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland
Cincinnati Zoo,to see Fiona and Fritz the baby Hippos.
Pittsburgh has a great zoo too
Army Museum at Carlisle Pa
6hrs to DC,so much there,new Army Museum for sure,Air and Space Museum

NYC, particularly its Museum of Sex, are not worth visiting in that manner.

Beaches, lakes, rivers, anything where there is water is relaxing after any urban city visits.

Hate to say it but driving in District of Columbia SUCKS big time. Weird one way streets, LOTS of traffic. Hard to find EXPENSIVE parking and all kinds of other crap. While I would like to see the sights, not really interested in ever going to that hole again.

I am an Ohioan born and raised, so seeing the Indians and Reds is old hat. We've been to every museum in Northern Ohio. Pitsburg is a real possibility. Huge cities are not on the list, anywhere. I have a real hard time with the traffic as a driver or passenger.

Come on folks! This is a real chance to tout your state/provence. Give me places that you love, hidden gems that tourist miss!

I could do more with telling you about Oklahoma. While I live in Tennessee, Memphis specifically, I don't really know much about the state and don't really care to for the most part.

Yellowstone National Park. BEFORE the huge earthquake comes.
My Dad and his wife enjoyed camping all winter at Homestead, FL.

We have quite a few state parks here in Ok.

Well, even though I doubt you'll ever get this far, I'd love to meet up with you should you ever decide to come to southern California. Some of the places to see are:

-> Chino Planes of Fame Air Museum, complete with fully flying warbirds from WWII. That one or Yanks Air Museum have the only Japanese Zero with the original Japanese engine from WWII.

-> If you like cars, the Peterson Automotive museum is amazing; although pretty deep in the heart of Urban SoCal. That's where you get a native (like me) to drive you to places like that.

-> For fun in the sun, or near the surf, there is Santa Monica pier, the Huntington Beach pier; and for a bit of offshore deep sea finshing; there is the Redondo barge anchored offshore for people to fish off of. Interior wise there is the huge Arboretum in Arcadia to make you feel far far away from civilization.

-> More history can be found at Fort MacArthur; the only remaining coastal fortress guarding Southern California. It was even active during WWII.

-> The USS Iowa is anchored at Long Beach and open for business every day.

-> Down San Diego way there is the USS Midway museum ship; one of the most profitable (if not the most profitable) ship museums in the nation.

-> Out in Riverside, or up in Irwindale (fifteen minutes up the freeway from my house) you can catch auto races, including NASCAR if that is what you are into.

Who am I kidding? Los Angeles and Orange County are too big for someone who has trouble with traffic as a driver or passenger. Regardless of what you do and where you go, don't forget to take in an IPMS Nationals once in a while to keep up with friends here.

Most of all, savor every moment; drink it all in and have fun!

Back