• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

OD's OD Dilemma

Old Dog

OK, I have to admit I can't remember the last time I needed to paint anything olive drab, I primarily build anything but American planes. I'm rapidly approaching the point where I need to paint the upper surfaces of my A-36 in the Operation Torch campaign and I'm not totally sure which OD to use. I have some Xtracolor ANA613 OD which is labeled WWII. This seems very dark to me, not that it matters as I'm going to be bleaching the heck out of it, I also have from the same company FS14084 OD which appears to be slightly lighter and more to the yellow side and finally Model Master OD FS 34087 which is way more to the yellow side and looks more like a modern usage OD.

Any comments or suggestions ? Note: I'm not an acrylic guy, Old Dog is too old to learn new tricks and I'm comfortable with solvent based paint, my experience with acrylics has led to variable results and I'm just not comfortable with trashing a build using them.

Out of all cord to paint, I think OD is the most forgiving...especially since it weathered in so many different ways. Desert conditions would see paint fade pretty quickly...I've always like MM Faded OD for that sort of thing...Vallejo ModelAir also has some nice variations...but pretty much anything faded goes...

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, I intend to use the faded OD as a top coat but wanted something darker for areas not as effected buy the sun. I did find that the ANA613 color was specified in 1943 but didn't come into general use till later. Also the general consensus seems to be that FS 34064 through FS 34088 covers the range of is a good match for OD #41 which was in use prior to the ANA 613. The 34064 would match the color as it came from the factory and the closer you get to 34088 represents the fading over time which is why I felt my 34088 looked too light. So I guess I'm going to wing it, since the darn paint seemed to fade bad from day one I guess no one is going to argue my final colors ! :huh:

Hi OD. I'll go along with Mike. If you don't want to use the Vallejo, MM is most likely your best choice. It comes in a lot of shades and you can always mix lighter shades from it.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back