• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Not a complete aircraft, but may be of interest...

matrixone

Here is a weathering experiment I have been working on, I wanted to see if AlcladII could be used to represent paint that has been worn off or eroded away and used an unwanted kit part from on older build which in this case is a Ta 152 tail from a 1/32 scale Revell Fw 190D-9 and tried to make it look like its an old war relic from WWII.

I painted this tail in the following steps...

1. The entire tail was airbrushed a coat of RLM 76 white blue

2. Some very light mottling in a slightly darker color was sprayed on.

3. A gloss coat was added and the swastika decals were put on.

4. The fabric covered rudder was masked off

5. With my Badger 150 double action airbrush I sprayed on the AlcladII on the extreme uppersurfaces only.

6. The RLM 45 red oxide patches were hand painted on the fabric covered rudder, it was painted on in such a way to make it look like the RLM 76 paint had flaked off.
404289632.jpg

404289630.jpg

Matrixone

Well Les that looks pretty convincing to me. Maybe I can start thinking about doing stuff like that. You inspire me. :java

Thanks Paul,
I sometimes have more fun with my painting practices than I do with an actual complete model aircraft, now that you are getting an Iwata airbrush grab an old model (or model part) and start painting, airbrush practice need not be drudgery and can be a lot of fun.

There is still a little more weathering to be done on the tail with some oil paints and maybe more AlcladII too.

Matrixone

I can understand you having fun. Which Alclad exactly did you use? The rudder was RLM 76 also and then thin coat of Alcad? Nice!

Those wheels and tires look great also. :pilot

Thanks Moon Puppy,
The rudder was first painted RLM 76 white blue and then mottled with a slightly darker color, when the paint was dry the rudder was masked off to protect it from the AlcladII.

I used the AlcladII color 'White Aluminium'. I know in my pics the AlcladII does not look very metallic but that was partly due to the lighting conditions when my pics were taken.

Matrixone

Thanks again Moon Puppy and thank you James!

The more I look at my pics the more I don't like them, they hardly show any of the metallic sheen of the Alclad. Next time I will take better pics to better demonstrate my weathering experiment.

Matrixone

Thanks guys, I will make some changes to this test piece and post the results later...I am trying to finish the weathering on my Dora and Bf 109K-4 so I can get them finished and out of my way.

Matrixone

Back