• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Nostalgia Build - Monogram's Hustler

I used to get B-58's as cereal promotions, I think it was the Lindberg kit with the working landing gear. Ate lots of cereal and got a bunch of them. Too bad my dog wouldn't eat the cereal.

Not too much to show for as it's been mostly tedious fit up work...and bouncing between the B-25 & Phantom. Ailerons trimmed off, as they were molded in more of an in flight configuration. These will likely be refitted in a drooped position, as I've seen more than one pic of the jet on the ground as such. Vertical stab was straightened (1 half was pretty badly warped). Aft fuselage shimmed and installed out of instruction sequence to insure a good fit up to the upper fuselage. Upper wing has been fitted & shimmed...not glued in place yet, that will happen after I get the forward fuselage assembled. Nose gear well/cockpit assembled to the lower forward fuselage. And started fiddling around w/ rescribing on the nose. Next job will be the cockpit so I can get the forward fuselage buttoned up and continue w/ the upper wing install.

full

I've always liked this aircraft, but was too chicken to build one. Looking good so far. Gary S. XLV MMXX

Admiral Thomas Connolly was quoted in a Congressional hearing as having told defense secretary McNamara "There isn't enough thrust in all Christendom to make this airplane into a fighter." He was talking about the B-Model at the time. I wouldn't call The Aardvark a fighter. Many of the innovations of the F-111B went into another airplane that DID perform well as a Fighter. I believe The Grumman Aerospace Corporation named that jet "Tomcat" in honor of Admiral Connolly.
The Hustler is VERY cool, and deserved her name!

Lower forward fuselage fitted. Now I'm getting the mid fuselage rescribed so I can fit up the upper wing. Spent about an hour on it so far today. Going to take a break to let some putty dry, then probably back at it a bit later unless I go for a hike.

full

Picking away a bit more. This will definitely be interesting to see how it turns out. This is the first full re-scribe I've attempted. Laid a bit of primer down over a flap to get an idea how it's going to look. Think I may have been going a bit heavy on the scribe.

full

Back