• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

North African Sherman

Rob Norton

Hi All-

Here is my latest finished project. More of a vignette than a diorama but not just a Tank either. I hope this is a good spot for it. Sorry I've been gone so long. I'll talk about that later elsewhere.

This time I kept track of the exact kit, etc. and this is the Tasca M4A1 Direct Vision Sherman. When I picked it up at last year's AMPS East it was in one of their "special edition" boxes, number 35-L27, but I think now it's widely available with several different sets of US and UK decals. Great Kit, by the way. It's built right out of the box except for the tow cable which I scrounged up somewhere. The turret stripe didn't not come with the kit decals though all the other markings did so I used some Archer dry transfers that I then tinted to more match the color of the big Number 9 and the stars, which DID come with the kit. I like my tanks clean so it's pretty bare, I admit. There is a photo of Ol' Number 9 here in Steve Zaloga's Armored Thunderbolt and it's messier than mine but this is how I generally like to do things. It's brush-painted as usual and dusted heavily with pastels, sprayed with clear coat, dusted again, etc etc. and it still may have needed more but again, I like my models cleaner than not. That's an Alpine figure and it's all placed on Monroe Perdu's Ancient Road base, which is another great kit. Shade is gratefully provided by a Monroe Perdu Market Umbrella.

Questions? Ask 'em if you've got 'em but as I always say, be patient for my next visit. I try. Really, I do.

north_african_sherman_001_20100626_1000374723.jpg

north_african_sherman_003_20100626_1294825558.jpg

north_african_sherman_004_20100626_1654493890.jpg

north_african_sherman_007_20100626_1934796053.jpg

north_african_sherman_009_20100626_1574829716.jpg

north_african_sherman_014_20100626_1583315633.jpg

Hey Rob
If you're gonna produce finishes like this due to absenteeism, then there's the door!
Lovely work on both tank and base. You have achieved a great finish with your brush work, and the tanker looks nice too...
Brad
:side:

I Love the whole display. The umbrella is a perfect touch and the figure is done well.

Tim

I am not a Sherman guy but I really like this! I agree with the others, the umbrella is a must! Keep em coming! ;)

Thanks for looking everybody and the kind comments. It was fun and I learned something too. The umbrella idea was from a photo and painting in the old Squadron In Action book on the Sherman. I like the height it adds and the color. I used to have a whole range of Shermans built but they're mostly gone now. They were from my early days as a "serious" modeler and after a couple of moves, they mostly got trashed. But this has maybe re-awakened the Sherman-a-holic in me. We'll see.

Happy Fourth of July to any of you guys from the U.S.A.!

Rob.

This is a hard one to say vignette vs. diorama - either way I can say it's good.
From a style standpoint you have a really nice style. I am a big fan of the black edge of the elevated base. I think a splash of color is fantastic (either the yellow or the umbrella).
Nicly done.

Back