• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Nieuport 17

Ted

Here's an airplane I've been working on for a while. Academy's 1/32 Nieuport 17. I just rigged it tonight with stretched sprue. Now for dullcoat to hide the glue from rigging and some dust and mud. It is marked as Billy Bishop's airplane using Hobbycraft decals. I grew up in Owen Sound, Ontario where Billy Bishop grew up (he was my childhood hero) and I'm considering donating this to the museum there. I also have the Model Cellar figure of the ace and an SE5a to build with his markings.

IMG_7918.jpg

IMG_7916.jpg

IMG_7911.jpg

IMG_7909.jpg

[stomping off in the corner...] Photobucketed again....Can't wait to see this when I get off work.

Pretty sweet (for an airplane) :blush: :silly: :laugh:
Keep posting pictures, even though I know nothing about planes,
it looks great.
Shawn

That is a beautiful Nieuport! I have to ask, did you do the wood lines on the prop, or is that an actual wooden prop? Second question that stems from that, I know there are some people out there that make their own props, are you one of them? :) Anyways, good showing!

WDE

Travis

Thanks very much guys. Travis, I painted the prop with tan acrylic paint and then used a mixture of oil paints brushed on. It's a hit-and-miss process. An important tip is to use less oil paint on the brush than you think you need, mostly on the propeller in the photos the "stained" acrylic is showing through streaks of darker oil paint. Oil paint over acrylic does a really good job of making natural surfaces (leather, wood, skin, metal) look realistic. I have carved a couple of props from real wood, I'll post pictures tonight.

top shelf stuff Ted! you're the master of the stretched sprue. Any reason you used sprue instead of some type of string? Any secrets how to get the diameter consistent?

Thanks guys. Bob, the stretched sprue is a little inconsistent. I stretched lots of it then picked the most similar diameters. John, the SE5a is the 1/32 model from Wingnut Wings. I started the cockpit and it's great.

Back