• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

New paint caddy

jknaus

Administrator
Well in a moment of insanity I ended up getting another FDM printer. This one is the Elegoo Neptune 4 Max with a huge build plate. And finally I was able to print out this paint caddy which holds 90 eye dropper sized paints. Of course I ran out of filament part way through and then ran out again hence the wild 3 colour print. Need to get more filament and print a couple of more of these I think. They have a handle to carry them and fit on top of each other to stack them. In one pic I also have an enclosure I printed to test out the printer. It will have an Arduino and some other components to make a plant water sensor and watering station for my wife's plants.
Elegoo Neptune 4 Max The 4 Pro is the same size as my Neptune 3 Pro so you can see the size difference.
1711461376939.jpeg

20240326_074552.jpg
20240326_074602.jpg
20240326_074608.jpg

James

Is the filament expensive ? what would it cost to print a paint rack like that ?
I can't comment on a filament printer, but a resin printer like I am getting would take an entire bottle of resin to print that I think. You are looking at, depending on the resin, $30 - $80 to print it. My resin costs $45 per bottle plus shipping; so, $48+ OOP cost for me.

Is the filament expensive ? what would it cost to print a paint rack like that ?
It depends on the filament. This was done almost completely with ESun PLA+ filament and it cost me $30.00 Cdn for the roll. I already printed the enclosure with it so thats why I ran out and used left overs from other rolls. If I went with my fav brand Eryone it would be $26.00 a roll, but of course prices go up and down and it goes on sale on Amazon fairly often. If I used PLA which is basically the same material, but not as strong I could get a roll for between $20 and $25. For this purpose it would be just fine and I will look through my rolls of PLA and pick a full one if I have one, if not it will be a multi colour. One of the reasons I got the new printer was because of the big build plate and now I can do bigger builds such as this. The other reason I got it is because it has a 300 degree hot end which means I can experiment with ABS and Nylon filament. My other printer could not do those materials because it could not get hot enough. So far I have printed with PLA, but PLA+ is my go to, PETG which is like a pop bottle, but it is more difficult to work with. I have also used Carbon Fibre PLA and will soon do the ABS and Nylon when I make a weather station as they are better for outdoors and water resistant.

So short story long, it cost me about $25.00 to make this not including the printer and utilities. Still a very good price I think and I can make a s many as I need. I just got a new file for a modeling jig and will print it sometime in the near future.
Jamews

I can't comment on a filament printer, but a resin printer like I am getting would take an entire bottle of resin to print that I think. You are looking at, depending on the resin, $30 - $80 to print it. My resin costs $45 per bottle plus shipping; so, $48+ OOP cost for me.
No I would not recommend a rersin printer for this. First off it would not fit, and if it did the weight and cost would be insane. Also it would be brittle. If I drop mine it may crack, but a resin one would shatter.
One thing to be aware of if you are printing for sale, check the licensing of the item. Most of what I have is licensed for personal use and so can not be sold and in some cases not even given away.
James

No I would not recommend a rersin printer for this. First off it would not fit, and if it did the weight and cost would be insane. Also it would be brittle. If I drop mine it may crack, but a resin one would shatter.
One thing to be aware of if you are printing for sale, check the licensing of the item. Most of what I have is licensed for personal use and so can not be sold and in some cases not even given away.
James
A lot of the model files I have are also for personal use but I have a few that are OK to sell. I am trying to learn Blender to make my own models. I created an air conditioner for the Scout I am working on. It took literally an entire day, but it looks so good! I certainly could have built it from scratch in far less time, but it wouldn't look nearly as realistic. The printer I am getting would print up to 16" tall I think, so yeah, the paint rack would probably have to be cut in half. This is definitely a model more suited for filament.

PS: my printer arrived as I was typing this!! Very exciting!

Back