• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My Way, Coloring Friulmodel tracks

Tony lee

Master at Arms
Howdy
While reading over the Tips and Tricks this morning I ran across this article by Teaker 11.
https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/Tips-and-Tricks/5514-Friulmodel-Track-coloringwithout-painting

I, like others may not have one of the Sonic Cleaner rigs and might have to do our coloring the old fashioned way using one of the products from the hobby industry.
"Blacken It" is the more widely known product but there are a couple others out there too. In this SBS I just happened to use "Black4Tracks" but I do the same steps with Blacken It too.

After assembly and fitting the tracks to the model I give them a good scrubbing with a tooth brush in Joy or Dawn dish washing soap and hot water from the tap.
100_0277.jpg

Rinse and dry.

Now you're ready to dip them in the blackening solution,time in solution depends on the product.
After they start to get colored i'll take them out and scrub them with the tooth brush making sure the chemical gets down in all the recesses and cracks,return to solution until you like the color.
100_0278.jpg

Now I would recommend that you give them a soak in a glass of water that has a level teaspoon of Baking Soda dissolved in it to neutralize what ever they make this stuff out of.
100_0279.jpg

I didn't do this on my first set of tracks and one day a pin fell out and the reason was the pin was all but eaten up so i've done the soda treatment ever since and no more problems.

Back to the hot tap water rinse and scrub to remove the soda residue and when dry they'll look like this.
100_0280.jpg

To give the tracks a little character I go over them with washes of Burnt Sienna and Raw Umber oils.
100_0282.jpg

Sand on the high spots to your liking then add your pigments to match the model weathering, "DONE"
100_0043.jpg

Happy Modelling
Tony lee:)

TONY,

Awesome !! Great Stuff. These Trax look Very realistic !!

I've also heard that to clean them you can also soak them in some White Vinegar prior to dropping them in th solution.

** Just a note - I would not advise buying anything from Tank Rats AFV. He does not full fill his Obligations & has allegedly "Stolen" merchandise from Vendors & customers alike **

- Tank Rat AFV

I'm not trying to Stir th pot ... Just a consumer warning. Buyer Beware. & now back to Our regularly scheduled program.....

Great Job Tony !!

ERIK

Yeah I know Erik. I've ordered from him a lot and always received great service but I haven't ordered anything lately because i've lot my trust in him.:(
It's a shame too because his Black4Tracks is really good stuff. After using it the first time I ordered two or three large bottles so i've got enough to last awhile. I'm still using the first bottle and have treated at least 5 sets of tracks,you can't do that with Blacken It.

With Blacken It I get a lot of silver spots down in the recesses and have tried everything known to man to clean them without luck and it ain't because of air bubbles either. I could live with it if I had to,I just cover those spots with a little umber paint and go on.

Thanks Buddy
Tony lee:)

Hi

A good money saving tip I read on another forum was that a Chemical that used to be used by photographers before they got into digital printing could also be used as a replacement to the Balckenit type of chemical.

The Chemical in question was Selenium toner and if you can get some it only costs about 5 bucks a litre.

Paul

Back