• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My Lancaster - Dambuster Build

Greg Mix

One of my projects this year is the old 1/48th Lancaster Dambuster von Tamiya. An old kit from the seventies but still good detail. I hope to be finished in time for Peter Jackson's new movie of The Dambusters.
http://www.wetanz.com/who-you-gonna-call-the-dam-busters/

Dam_Busters_1954.jpg

KGrHqVhsE-SGuuSSBP0l5zudw60_3.jpg

Sorpe-Bomben-100.jpg

Mohne_Dam_Breached.jpg

Dambstrajj.gif

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-C0212-0043-012_Edertalsperre_Zerstrung.jpg

I'm adding aftermarket wheels, metal landing gear struts, cockpit brass, seat belts, XtraDecals, Eduard mask and resign engines from Belcher Bits of Canada. I ordered what I could get Through AAA Hobbies and the rest from Hannants of London.

Photos of what I've done so far;
IMG_0102-1.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0103-1.jpg

bb15_parts_web.jpg

lutz_15_web.jpg

This is always a nice project.

One day I will try my skills on this:

LANC-X-BW.jpg

lancaster11.jpg

Lancaster.jpg

This image is censured.

Randy Lutz, that is a name I hadn't read for quite a while. I loved his Luftwaffe articles in the IPMS/USA Journal.

Regards,

Coolness!! I did the Grand Slam version last year and had a great time with it...looks like you've got the awesome Eduard PE to go with it-- have fun!!!

Nice build. I hope they dont make the new Dam Busters into a sappy yappy love story

Great start, always fancied one of these but i dont have the space :)

This guy was one of the last 617 sqn ground crew and worked at my local museum with his bomb :)

DSC_0011.jpg

Well he called it his bomb because i think he was photographed with it 50 times a day :) The museum is at the old Brooklands race track which became the Vickers Factory where Barnes Wallace designed and built the Wellington. Next to the bouncer was a Grand slam which looked rather like a V2 in size and shape :)

If you are going to fly all the way to Germany you might as well take something that makes a loud pop !

Brooklands027.jpg

After a bit of a hiatus (three years?) I’m back on the Lancaster. I’m trying to finish up before the local Atlanta IPMS contest next weekend.

Belcher Bits resin engines from some blokes in Canada. A nice solution to the engine problems of the Tamiya kit. many coats of Rustoleum followed.

Filling and painting: Note the seams on the top of the fuselage were re-built with fishing line glued on with carpenter glue after the fuselage half’s were glues together and sanded. The upper turret opening was plugged with the piece provided by Tamiya, filled then a thin sheet plastic disk glued over this.

Tamiya color scheme was scanned, imported into CAD program, blown up to 1/4" scale and plotted onto a 36"x24" sheet. Frisket was then overlaid and cut for the paint mask.

I've been seeing you online all day and wondering if you're going to speak up. Don't worry Greg, we got older threads here..not by much but we do. :rotf

Lanc is looking good, wish I could see it next week, prior engagement keeping me from the show.

Paints and colors used were Humbrol Gloss Black, White Ensign British Dark Earth and Model Master British Dark Green #FS34079 in that order. The canopy and turrets were masked with E-Z Mask to maintain sanity. Decals are Xtradecal from Hannants of London. The large roundel on the port wing did not go down to well. This was probably due to it's large size. I ended up painting over using Frisket and Humbrol Red-153 and Midnight Blue-15. If I had it to do over again I'd simply mask and paint the big ones. the other markings went down well.

The wings are carefully glued on with thirty minute epoxy. This gives plenty of working time so that one can align the wings. I spread a thin but solid coat of epoxy on each surface with a small Q-tip. The wings were then braced with large rubber bands and supports placed under the wings and allowed to cure for twenty-four hours.

Cyril stands guard and looks on approvingly.

Back