• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Moonlighting the fun way

Tim A.

Thought I share something from my other "job"
There is a gentleman whom I have known for years that has an amazing collection of military miniature's, mostly naval, and he never fails to send my way something interesting to work on from it. The most important resto he intrusted to me was a 6 ft. long 90 year old schooner rigged ship model that I believe he has insured for more than my house was worth. It was in my shop for a half a year.
Today along with a couple of small ship's and an antique horse drawn fire wagon he gave me this German made gun to repair.

Tim
german_gun_1_20100803_1872710563.jpg
german_gun_20100803_1369256055.jpg

I'm replacing a couple of missing parts which are made of brass or mabey bronze ain't sure yet just glad they ain't steel!

As far as the gun, details are sketchy. It is marked Jos. Moog Passage 38/46. It's made entirely of bronze or brass. The gun is about 9" inches long and 6" inches high. It weighs a ton is fully fuctional (very smooth working) and is built to fire but don't know what. There is a crest stamped on the breech but can't make out the image.
Looks to me to represent Naval artillery, either a coastal gun or ship board unit from WWI or a little before. The model (toy) looks to be made around that time also. My client friend says it's German made?
Thats about it anyone have any info on this feel free to give it up!

Tim

Hi Tankbuilder, yes it has that look.

I Have made the repairs to the gun. One of the other repairs required cleaning up the barrel so it had to loose the patina which I hated but give it time and it will come back.

Another project he sent to me was an old model of a horse drawn fire engine. The horse's are made of plaster and all had suffered severe damage as well as the engine itself.
The engine is mostly made of wood and the paint was cracking and seperating. I was able to save almost all the paint and stablize it. The horse's rig is leather and took the most time to redo. He should be happy with this save!

A couple more things to do and it's back to tank building again!

Tim
000_1812_20100815_1953520464.jpg
000_1813_20100815_2073608682.jpg
000_1815_20100815_2046970807.jpg
dthings.com/images/stories/img_pictures/hood_688/000_1819_20100815_1004606318.jpg[/IMG]

Back