• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mohawk Militia

Greg Kimsey

Here is one from SCALE75. I really enjoyed doing this one a lot! I painted it in oils.
1000005404.jpg
1000005403.jpg
1000005401.jpg
1000005399.jpg
1000005398.jpg

Are you sure Magua isn't Huron? Well done, Suh!
Thank you! I was thinking Iroquois, but Huron probably works too! Honestly, I don't know much about native Americans. Aren't there about 4 or so different tribes under the Mohawk blanket?

I’ve been thinking about your figure for three days and finally decided to post. Your color transitions are superb. I am making a sincere effort just to do 1/35 faces so I know what you have accomplished with this figure. Very good job.

I’ve been thinking about your figure for three days and finally decided to post. Your color transitions are superb. I am making a sincere effort just to do 1/35 faces so I know what you have accomplished with this figure. Very good job.
Wow, thank you! I will say, since I started using oil paints on my figure the tonal transitions have been MUCH easier to achieve. Base in acrylics for speed, but switch to oils for the rest. I can't recommend it highly enough. @Steveski turned me onto it about six figures ago and I am grateful for it.

I have an Altores 1/10 Mowhawk bust. Looking at this fellow really gives me some idea where I need to go with mine. The only color reference I have is this.

Mohawk.jpg

I have an Altores 1/10 Mowhawk bust. Looking at this fellow really gives me some idea where I need to go with mine. The only color reference I have is this.

View attachment 161216
Thank you! Finding clear, definitive reference was not easy. I followed many a rabbit down its hole and visited a lot of history sites; some better than others. Still shots from the Last of the Mohicans movie was helpful. Looking at beadwork on Iroquoi and Mohican made clothing, purses, sachels, and moccasins for sale yielded some beadwork patterns. Revolutionary war reenactment photos was also helped. Looking forward to seeing yours when it is finished!

My cousin, Robert Sisk, was in that movie and is a close friend of Wes Studi. Robert has a real talent for painting and bringing native American culture to the canvas. Along with another artist, Joe Don Brave, actually help inspire me to go this route. Living here in Oklahoma you have no choice but to be inspired by this culture. You do exceptional work, Greg.

Back