• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MODERN RUSSIAN ARMOUR USED IN COMBAT - T-80U BUILD update 18th April

I really want to start on this T-80U but may warm-up with a simple BMP -1.
rfm-t-80u_1696502647-b.jpgScreenshot 2024-03-25 133334.jpg
The far side is open for interpretation, so I will strip back a few guards and beat it up some more.
T80U captured Ukraine.jpg

T80U captured Ukraine2.jpg

Is it this one with the working "Cosmonaut in Training" turret in the background?
View attachment 167806

@Greg Kimsey, these cages are not all factory made... Most of the early ones are made in the field workshops.
This one is a later model T-72B3 with stand-off armour grating and charge bag armour - one of my favourite T-72's.

No, its this one, a T-72B1M with Kontact-1 /ERA boxes.
Screenshot 2024-03-26 171008.jpg

I can see the next generation of MBT's being unrecognisable now their vulnerability to relatively cheap drone attacks is realised.
A huge amount has been learned from this conflict not least the vulnerability of ships and tanks to drones.

in the red sea today a basic Houthi drone cost £16k, a sea viper used to shoot one down from HMS Daring cost £1m and often several will be fired.
I was reading the other day how the US navy hired a small Finish silent running sub to try and get through its carrier picket, the sub popped up almost along side the US carrier undetected...
I really think there will be huge changes in warfare and very soon.

What a nice space, and you don't have to worry about fumes!
Thanks MP, the area in front of me there is covered by a clear roof and is about to be fitted with motorised weather blinds. The bar/bench I stained in maple and behind me is an area the same again but open to the sky.The whole thing sits about 30 ft up from the road and looks out over the national park. :D Final touches going on now from what was started in Oct last year. The layout/idea has been in my head since I first bought the house at 40.

Last edited:
Looks gorgeous, wish I could live somewhere like that. Snowed again last night and calling for snow next few days.
I'm interested in knowing what the RFM T-80 is like. Looking forward to your build.
James

Looks gorgeous, wish I could live somewhere like that. Snowed again last night and calling for snow next few days.
I'm interested in knowing what the RFM T-80 is like. Looking forward to your build.
James
Here's a shot from each way.
This was just before the clear roof went on the pergola area and the cladding near the roof. Still finishing the painting too.
It's a great space to sit on a sunny afternoon under the Oak and Gum trees...... its like having your own treehouse.
20240305_121515w.jpg20240305_121533w.jpg

Last edited:
Back