• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modeling for Competition

As to measuring the wings, I can see checking to see if they are reasonably level. There have been times when I saw a plane build and it was quite obvious that one wing was lower than the other. That would be one easy criteria to weed some planes out. After all the wings sitting on landing gear should be reasonably level, if not then someone wasn't paying attention.

I like the sound of the Gold/Silver/Bronze awards, makes sense to be awarded on merit rather than 1-2-3. I also agree that hosting clubs should "NEVER" have members enter the contest. There could be a "Members only" category, but otherwise it can leave folks with a sour feeling. At the Knoxville contest earlier this year, members had a "display" table and there were some really nice builds on that table. The contest though was for non-members.

Big can of worms this judging thing - competitions are not supposed to be a mentally deranged assessment of models, yet there has to be a fair evaluation of skill and outcome.

Members only categories for competitions organised by clubs, now that is something that makes a lot of sense, it is fair, especially if the judges are only club members. Have been to a few of those, never again to one in particular as it was the worst experience.

Usually, the competitions I am attending, judges come in teams of two, with another look at the category by the chief judge upon completing the judging. The pairs never have two judges from the club on the same team. Now that is something I can live with.

What I am having a problem with, as a matter of principle, is the fact that some of the judges lack the required mental frame to judging models and / or the minimum technical expertise in terms of knowledge of the subjects, especially in vignettes and diorama classes.

Definition of classes - up to the organisers. Initial screening, that's a different matter, especially for classes where things are not 100% straightforward. How exactly is a helicopter, on tarmac, no figures, nothing else around it put in the diorama category? It shows nothing but a model, no story, no life / action, no drama, nothing.

I believe it all comes down to the club behind it all - if they are organising a competition to bring people together, showcase the models, get people in to admire the models, that's fantastic. Traders, visitors, competitors, all have a great day / days out, all good fun, all worth it. Sadly, some do it to put themselves on a pedestal, waiting to be adored by the rest of the world.

Prizes and sponsors - I am dead set against prize money, or anything of significant material value. As soon as big money (or significant value) creeps in, the fight to win will go to the next level and that would spoil all the fun for me. A small token from a sponsor is always a nice way to reward winners and promote the said sponsor, but that's it.

One big thing for me is how receptive the organisers are to feedback from participants, especially from outside the club. That would be awesome if it happened.

Thanks for reading,

Laurence

Back