• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MODELING FOR COMPETITION: RESEARCH

Thanks Terry, so what happens if a judge does not accept research? We can't :smack em. Is there any discussion about the research, can you make your case or just submit the documentation and let it go?

Perfect timing as all of my projects are in a holding pattern while I wait for the paint to cure in this God-awful humidity.

I will give a good example on how research can make or break a build. I started that (AWEFUL) Me323 Gigant kit from Italiari back when for the Messerschmit build.

Basically the outline of the kit was ok. Every detail they had on it though including windows, sizes, locations, ribbing and inside support struts was so very wrong I pretty much got disgusted and set it aside. I learned a lot and corrected a huge amount, but finally just said poo on it.

On the other hand the Revel Ju88-A1 that is on hiatus at the moment has some things that need correction, but overall isn't in need of much. Most of what I was doing on it was "adding" additional detailing. Some of which would be hard to see, but I wanted to do it. The Ju88-A4 in the stash is going to be much quicker and easier due to the research and additional stuff from the A1 build.

Finally the Millennium Falcon build that I have embarked on is becoming a research hog! Lucky for me there is a lot of info out there on the web now and it is turning a OOB project into one where a lot of parts go in the spares while I make new stuff. Lucky (or not) I can focus on areas as I receive the parts. Again learning a lot more about fabricating good plastic parts, and soon, making stuff and how to light it in new and unique ways. The info I have dug up in the last month is about 50x as much as I had going into the project. I have 23 more months to go after tomorrow. :bang head :frantic :gogo

:frantic

Another well done installment MrT

Your killing me as I want to start sticking plastic :zen :zen :zen

Ok great stuff Terry ... I'm doing my research as We type ... I want to do a great Job on this I think I have a die cast Dauntless in my stash that need a eye cast on it ... :pilot :pilot :pilot

Thanks Terry, so what happens if a judge does not accept research? We can't :smack em. Is there any discussion about the research, can you make your case or just submit the documentation and let it go?

Well as much as we would like to punch out the judge I don't think that would foster good will. At least you won't here them say "you should have provided documentation." As a judge I can say we read that stuff and usually ends any argument. Remember IPMS judging is all about how well it's built. Historical accuracy only comes into play when all the other hurdles have been overcome.

Again we are exploring the idea that we can use the contest rules to become better modelers. There is no "silver bullet" against a dumb#$% judge.

B)

Dang-it this Slow But Deadly will be built as a 4 version ... with the twin guns I think, I already have the Squadron Dauntless book in the Basket. :woohoo: and Have been looking on the net for Info on the invasion :captain ... Now I need to go and look at the rules again as I tried to join the closest IMPS group and they suggested I open up the Hunt County division, so there may be a new sub-division starting soon ... :soldier :pilot :captain

So you want me to research some Cougars? I think I did enough on the Cougar in that spring break I had in Cancún way back when.... I won't tell you the sort of AM I picked up....

My research is coming along ... I admit since being a :geek all my life ... and only watching a few War Movies I've been behind but ... I'm working on all this stuff ... One thing I do try to do is work on all facets of this styrene hobby ... I was gone for awhile ...but I'm back & I really love all the new stuff (aftermarket) ... :woohoo: (y) :woohoo:

My research for my MH-60M blackhawk has been an ongoing thing now for about a year.
I've got over probably 125 pics alone and a boatload of documents, manuals and bookmarks to boot.
To me, research is have the fun because it seems like you always come across a better picture than before, and sometimes even land the jackpot from a photo-hosting site like flicker or photobucket.

Clear up right!
Tim

Yup I fully agree, though I might bookmark stuff on the net, I always try to find a way to copy it onto my computer. There were too many times in the early days that it was rabbit time.

Hare today gone tomorrow.

Thus I have a ton of photos, manuals, and about anything else I could get my mitts on. One of the sites that "used" to exist called "Forbidden Plastic" had a bunch of photos of the 5 footer Millenium Falcon movie prop. I saved them. Good thing too that site no longer exists.

Found another site that had PDF files of a bunch of WW2 German aircraft. Downloaded!! (in a New York second)

Early on I had to devise a way to keep track of stuff. There is a simple way I do it, through a folder tree. Reference/Aircraft/German/Ju88 Then there are sometimes even more folders, Publications, variants, it depends on how much stuff there is before I break it down more.

There i also armor, ships, allied aircraft, spacecraft (Apollo, Gemini, Shuttle) Sci-fi, and a ton of other stuff. Easier to save it than to try and redo it or find it again.

I find my research a great way to get to know my model, the good, the bad and after my finish the ugly- but I still have hopes. :blush:
As to the interweb ; once I find a picture of my subject, I will save it to a subfolder devoted to that particular vehicle/plane/ship/etc. under my "models" library. I find it amazing as to how many times I gone back to those photos to clarify a point only to discover a totally new aspect that I had missed in the first place. :eek:hmy: (the old "question I didn't know I had")

Also thanks to Mr. T for the class, :drinks

Back